GE Dryer - no heat after replacing heating element..

Old 08-14-08, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Dryer - no heat after replacing heating element..

I replace a broken heating element on 1991 GE Dryer. I put everything back together and got heat right away. I decided to tighten the insulators a little more and broke a couple. I replaced the broken insulators put everything back together again and now I have no heat. I tried to loosen tighten the insultators but still no heat.

any suggestions what could be wrong ?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-08, 09:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like you might know, but are hoping. You better volt meter check for 240 at your element terminals. And also ohms test the elements with the power to dryer disconnected, to make sure element did not break on you.

Old 08-14-08, 03:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
UNPLUG DRYER FIRST Check both thermostats with ohm meter also while you are there. all SHOULD BE 0 OHMS NO OPENS heater will have some resistance.

Old 08-14-08, 10:06 PM
heating element read aprox between 10 and 20 ohms . Thermostat (which is under the lint filter correct ?) reads 0 ohms

..the 240 voltatge test I have not attempted

Old 08-15-08, 05:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try turning breaker on and off again, may not be getting 240 to outlet. Check outlet for 240 first than go on to dryer.

Old 08-15-08, 06:34 AM
I'll try flipping the breakers

how safe is it to do a voltage test on the dryer reseptacle ? - I have a multimeter - or does it requrie a different kind of tester?

one mroe thing. I did get some heat for about 5 seconds and I can see a bit of charring(black soot) on the washer where the end of the element is fastned to the insulators.

Old 08-15-08, 08:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by hanton View Post

how safe is it to do a voltage test on the dryer reseptacle ? - I have a multimeter - or does it requrie a different kind of tester?

The easiest and surest way is to pull out the male receptical some (about 1/8+ inch, so that you can see the brass terminals. Then put your test meter (multimeter) probes on these. Often the probe ends of a multimeter are not long enough to reach deep enough through the cover box slots. So this trick will help you.

[Obviously, just make sure you do not touch those brass terminals, with your hands/fingers!!]

Your multimeter must be set to a range equal to or higher than 250!

Old 08-15-08, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
The easiest and surest way is to pull out the male receptical some (about 1/8+ inch, so that you can see the brass terminals. Then put your test meter (multimeter) probes on these. Often the probe ends of a multimeter are not long enough to reach deep enough through the cover box slots. So this trick will help you.

[Obviously, just make sure you do not touch those brass terminals, with your hands/fingers!!]

I believe I have a 4 prong receptical - where can I find instructions on how to do the test - which probe goes into which slot?

Old 08-15-08, 04:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
4 prong plug 2 flat ones are hot and should read 240 volts, each flat to to either round or square looking should read 120 volts. Round to square one should read 0 volts. be careful don't touch any of the prongs with your hands.

Old 08-17-08, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post

Used your method and it worked great. I got 240 Volts!

now what next ?..I'm trying to find the thermal fuse ?

Old 08-17-08, 08:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
please give model# so we can see what machine you have. Thermo fuse is usually a2 wire thing that looks like a small thermostat on top of heater element usually on right side looking at dryer from front. Just a guess as not sure of model. Know it's a GE. thermo fuse should have 0 ohms (no opens)

Old 08-18-08, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
please give model# so we can see what machine you have. Thermo fuse is usually a2 wire thing that looks like a small thermostat on top of heater element usually on right side looking at dryer from front. Just a guess as not sure of model. Know it's a GE. thermo fuse should have 0 ohms (no opens)
vd952kt419

..I've actually almost given up - but I'll try anything suggested.

Old 08-18-08, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry your model # dose not come up. What dose dryer do when you push the start button?

Old 08-18-08, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
Sorry your model # dose not come up. What dose dryer do when you push the start button?
Dryer turns but gives no heat.