Maytag Atlantis won't spin but agitates in more ways than 1

Old 08-23-08, 08:41 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Maytag Atlantis won't spin but agitates in more ways than 1

Hi, I could use some help diagnosing my Maytag Atlantis. I appreciate the help!

Maytag Atlantis, MAV9501eww, made about 2003.

I could not find another non-spin issue quite the same on the forum.

The machine agitates when the motor turns either direction. I have checked the belt, motor and pump along with all pulleys. Everything is fine, no dust or strange black residue or any grease under the machine or on the sides of the case. It pumps out during spin cycle but no spin.

The upper and lower bearings are fine. I disassembled the pulley and thrust bearing assembly, seems fine. I disassembled the brake assembly and that seems fine too. I reassembled and checked the brake release set up. This is fine also with the brake releasing with the arrow of the cam mechanism right past the first plastic nub. The only way I can get the brake to release is to hold the agitator shaft at the top with pliers. Their is no resistance to the agitator in the spin direction.

So the problem is that the brake is not releasing and the reason is that there is no resistance to the agitator shaft in the spin direction. It seems there must be a catch somewhere in the system that stops the agitator shaft when it rotates in the spin direction. That would allow for the cam to push the brake up and spin the drum. When I roatate the pulley in the spin direction and do not hold the agitator shaft it just free spins the agitator in the opposite direction without releasing the brake.

I pulled the transmission top off and I cannot see any broken or missing gear teeth.

I noticed this issue because of two reasons. Clothes have been coming out wet occasionally. So it seems this issue has been in the process of failing for a while. The other night the washer started making a clunking noise. I went in there and it would spin sometimes and not others as I opened the lid and pinned up the lid switch. Now I cannot even get it to work intermittently, it has completely failed.

My gut tells me that there is a part in the transmission that must keep the agitator shaft from rotating in the spin direction.

Please help!

Thanks!!

Old 08-23-08, 02:05 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How many hours you have invested in this project so far, out of curiousity?

Could it be that mechanically it is sound, but that electric current is not getting through to the motor?

Is the pump electrical or mechanical driven?

Does your machine, normally when working properly, pump and spin at same time, or pump out, then spin?

Old 08-23-08, 03:06 PM
R
I have about 4 hours of work on the washer, probably about the same in research. My mechanically curious brain can't let any mechanical issue go.

The pump is mechanically driven and it does spin and pump at the same time. No electrical issues as the motor spins up as it should in the proper direction during spin mode.

Old 08-23-08, 05:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Sounds like you need a transmission.

Old 08-23-08, 05:26 PM
R
Thanks Pugsl. Is there a mechanism in the transmission that stops the center shaft from rotating in the spin direction?

I assume you cannot order parts that are internal to the transmission, is this true?

Thanks!!

Old 08-28-08, 02:22 PM
R
I have replaced the transmission and that was definitely the issue. I was going to rebuild the old one but this transmission is a new high torque version that Maytag made when all of these started bombing. Of course there was no recall, we wouldn't want to do the right thing...

THanks for the help! BTW I got a deal on this part off Ebay, $130 shipped. This part is $220 plus tax locally.

Now my machine is a spinning fool...

Old 08-28-08, 04:07 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Glad to hear you did the right thing and it works. A MAYTAG that only lasted 5 years. Huh. You should call them up, for the fun of it, and ask them what is with that 'lonely Maytag repair man' ad/trademark business.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: