confused with Ground and Neutral on my CLoth Dryer!

Old 08-30-08, 05:23 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
confused with Ground and Neutral on my CLoth Dryer!

Hi All
I have recently moved to United States and bought a pre-used Washer Dryer. Now the Dryer electric cable has 4 pins (Red, Black, White and Green) but my apartment provides only 3 pin slots to plug. I bought a 3 pin cable from Home Depot and it has the two hot pins (red and Black) and the Neutral (white) pin.

How should i connect the cable that i bought to the Dryer pins? should connect the neutral to neutral and leave out the Ground hanging loose or can i connect both groung and neutral to the neutral wire on the ele tric cable. Please help.

Also the electric cable has just Neutral marked on it. How can i identify which is red or black between the remaining two?

Thanks for all your help
Yesh

Old 08-30-08, 06:48 AM
L
You should have terminals for 2 hots, the red and black, and one for white, the neutral. The ground connects to the metal cabinet. Older 3 wire installations connected the white to both the neutral and the metal cabinet. If you have 4 wire service, the safest thing is to upgrade to a 4 prong outlet and cord. It also removes any doubt about code compliance. Make sure the rating of the breaker, wire, receptacle, and cord match, and exceeds power the appliance You need to change the receptacle to a four female faced receptacle

good luck and have a great day

Old 08-30-08, 01:35 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by yeshneeth View Post
....or can i connect both groung and neutral to the neutral wire on the ele tric cable. Please help.

Also the electric cable has just Neutral marked on it. How can i identify which is red or black between the remaining two?

Thanks for all your help
Yesh

Your first question : No! You must make sure that the 'bonding strap' between the neutral terminal, at the back of your dryer, and the rear metal skin of the dryer is there, or reinstall one if not there! With YOUR suggested idea, you are not protected at all if the dryer develops a dead short to the metal skin of the dryer. Make sure that strap is either still there, or one put back in!

And especially with these 3-wire set-ups, it be advised not to be barefooted on concrete floors and touching the metal of the dryer.

For your last question, it does not matter which is which, for black and red.

I reread your post after wondering where that 'ground wire' coud be coming from, if you have only a 3-wire cord. Hmmm. So maybe that IS your bonding wire. If so, yes, it would go between the metal back of the dryer and the neutral terminal.

Old 08-30-08, 05:24 PM
Y
Thank you so much, really appreciate your answers. Based on what is suggested i connected my 3 prong cord to the dryer as shown in the link. Essentially i am trying to connect my 4 prong Dryer to a 3 prong plug hole. Based on the picture in the link, do you think i got it right? or do i have to make changes regarding the green cord?
http://gallery.me.com/yeshneeth#100102

Old 08-31-08, 02:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
LOOKED OK TO ME AS LONG AS R
THE CENTER WIRE IS ON THE CENTER LUG/ Can't tell in picture.

Old 08-31-08, 07:30 AM
T
Without getting into the debate - and I really question why a rental would not be supplying the newer 4 prong circuit.

I cant tell from the picture . There should be a jumper from the silver (center connection) to ground some how. Most dryers have a diagram right on the dryer. If not I would find factory documentation.

You also never answered where the Ground wire is coming from on the 3 - prong cable you just bought ?

Old 08-31-08, 07:51 AM
Y
Originally Posted by tribe_fan View Post
You also never answered where the Ground wire is coming from on the 3 - prong cable you just bought ?
the 3 prong cable does not have the ground wire. it has the two hot prongs and neutral. i connected the neutral from the cord to the centre lug on the dryer and the two hot prongs to L1 an L2 respectively.

The green ground wire comes from the dryer (since the dryer is 4 pronged). so should i buy a jumper wire and connect the ground to the neutral?

My dryer doesn't have any picture on it unfortunately.

Old 08-31-08, 08:12 AM
T
The ground wire should be left as is -

There needs to be a method to tie the neutral terminal to the ground on the dryer.

Can you supply a model number - so we can investigate to correct way to to this ?

Please don't run the drier until you get it right.

Here is a link to one method.

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switc...and-hookup.php

I just don't want to give advice that would go against a manufactures recommendation concerning the method to do this.

Old 08-31-08, 08:27 AM
Y
Below are the Dryer details -
Make: FRIGIDAIRE
model: FDE546RES1
serial: XD83156179

Thank you for helping me out..

Old 08-31-08, 09:44 AM
T
Well - I found this manual

ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo.../131751700.pdf

It looks like "from the factory" there was a Green wire attached to the Neutral connector, that is removed for 4 wire installations.

Either it is discarded - or the Green wire you have in your picture is "tucked" away somewhere - where does it go ?

I would go to an appliance store an get a replacement.

I'm not a pro - and quite frankly I want to caution you to get one if you are not sure.

I would also wait for a Moderator to validate my findings -

Old 08-31-08, 10:06 AM
Y
Originally Posted by tribe_fan View Post
Well - I found this manual

ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo.../131751700.pdf

Either it is discarded - or the Green wire you have in your picture is "tucked" away somewhere - where does it go ?
First of all let me tell you i really appreciate the effort and time you took to research my problem.

The green wire you see in the picture is still there. Earlier it had a 4 wire cord attached to it and the green wire from cord along with green wire from the dryer (the wire you saw in the picture) is screwed to the dryer frame.

Since my apartment has only 3 pin plugs, i removed the 4 wire cord and connected the 3 wire cord the way i have shown in the picture. since there is no green wire from a 3 wire cord, i connected just the green ground wire alone from the dryer to the dryer frame.

Old 08-31-08, 10:10 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I ,like pugsl, looked at that Gallery photo and agree it is unclear where the hidden end of the green wire is. It is possible it was taken off the neutral terminal and is dangling inside the dryer. But it also might be possible they are using that green wire to tie the outer skin of the dryer to more internal metal chasis parts. If you pull on that hidden end, does it come out?, or does it feel attached?

-IF- it is attached, just leave it, and use another piece of green ground wire (you can buy such pigtail pieces even at my home center), and simply piggy-back mount it to the same green wire's screw that we see in that Gallery photo, and run the other end of it to that silver center neutral connection.

Regarding all the warnings sited by everyone here: The principle involved here is not rocket science. There isn't going to be one manufacturer doing it one way, and another manufacturer doing it another way. If there were, they would have huge red warning sign at that terminal block back there with instructions. You can rest assured that if you ground the metal of the dryer to that silver center neutral terminal in back of the dryer, that you will be set to go. That is just how it is done. Standard procedure. Plain and simple.

Old 09-01-08, 06:20 AM
T
No its not rocket science - but I really don't see any "warning" out of the ordinary. At one point someone said "It looks OK", and it was not.

All dryers I have seen do have warnings about connecting the dryer properly.

Someone coming to a board for electrical advice needs to double and triple check the answers, until they have confidence in the poster.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: