Maytag washer violent shake!

Old 08-31-08, 05:32 PM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
Maytag washer violent shake!

Hi All,
I have a Maytag Performa Washer, bought in 2000 (or so), model PAV2000AWW that will go off balance if even one sock gets out of place during the spin cycle. It shakes so hard, it actually broke the brackets securing the control panel to the top of the machin . I plan to dig into this machine in the next few days, but was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to look for. I suspect some broken springs.
I also need a parts list & diagram for this machine, but can't find one online. Anyone know where one can be found?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-31-08, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a front loading unit that will shake if the feet are not level on the floor. Try that first.

Old 08-31-08, 08:42 PM
Thanks Cali!
The feet are indeed level. I wish that was the problem, but it's not.

Old 09-01-08, 03:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
here is a link to your machine.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...0AWW&pop=flush
Look under base and parts 18 and 34 are what you need. Not a easy fix. When you open the lid is the basket leaning off to a side any way. Sure sign of your problem. Parts come as a kit but I can't find that #. Real common problem with your machine. Can help with tear down and save you some time, Let us know what you are goin to do.

Old 09-01-08, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I hate to be too elementary, but was the shipping bolt removed from the unit before being placed in service? I only mention because I had a customer who asked me to haul off a 2 year old machine after I finished their remodel. Said it shook violently during spin. I pushed it onto my truck and noted the bolt still in place. Nice washer....now.

Old 09-01-08, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the replies!
Chandler, yes the shipping bolt was removed. Good call though.
Pugsl, I think you are onto it. The tub is currently standing up straight, but if I push it to one side, it will stay there. I would appreciate any helpful steps on this repair you can give. I'll order parts asap.
Thanks,
Andy

Old 09-01-08, 05:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Will get back with you tomorrow with tear down need to think of easiest way.

Old 09-02-08, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have hit a blank on how yours comes apart either 2 screws in lower fold of front panel or spring clips holding top down. If springs clips holding top down use putty knife to push each clip back and lift top. 2 5/16 screws hold front on. If 2 screws in fold remove screws and pull front out and off clips in top. 2 men can do job without removing tub assy. First tilt machine back to and take off belt and white pulley. watch how parts come out as they have to go back the same way. When assembling be sure to lube the ramps on white plastic gear. Make it very greasy. wall remove springs (6) from around tub. Some machine has a back panel that makes it easier. lift tub assy and pull snubber out from under machine, will bend it but will come out. make sure no oil around lip where new snubber goes . put new snubber in same way you took out old 1. The other way which I do not use is take out tub assy. Have to disconnect hoses and wires to motor and take out tub assy. do not remove 6 5/16 screws from brake above white pulley.

Old 09-02-08, 05:41 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile I found a parts diagram

I found some parts diagrams for your model number http://www.partselect.com/AdvancedMo...Num=&fkMfgID=1 - hope this helps some.

Old 09-02-08, 07:15 PM
Excellent information guys!
I will be tackling this job as soon as I have a chance & have the parts.
Thanks again!!!
Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: