Whirlpool oven gets hot on front

Old 09-03-08, 09:42 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool oven gets hot on front

I just bought a Whirlpool RF265LXTB range from a big-box store. The model we bought was the floor model and when we brought it home we turned it on to see how it would work. It is a smoothtop. We turned the oven on at 350 degrees and let it preheat. After it preheated, about 10 to 15 minutes into cooking time, the front edge of the cooktop (right above the door handle) got really, really hot....hot enough that you can't keep your finger on it for more than a second or two. We thought maybe since we bought the floor model, it had some sort of defect. So we returned it, went to a different store and bought the same model that was new and in the box yet. Brought it home and it does the same thing.

Is this a normal thing with Whirlpool ranges? I am thinking I will return this unit too and try a different brand.

Old 09-03-08, 04:05 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are the oven door gaskets, that are about halfway down each side of the door, causing a bind with the door, so that the very top of the door is not sealing tight against the gasket?

I've ran into that problem, where the top of the door literally is not closing all the way, because of that. Check it out and see. You may either be able to see the gap or perhaps feel it in the sense say that you might be able to push in on the door about another 1/2 inch. Then get back with us.

Old 09-03-08, 09:14 PM
B
I returned the stove to the store I purchased it at. The sales manager says that it seems to be a common problem with the 265 series in the Whirlpool line.

Old 09-04-08, 06:05 AM
E
So you returned the 2nd one also? You giving up on that model?

I might add that I am of the persuasion to call up companies to tell them or ask them why something does something that seems abnormal. They might like to know. And getting an answer might be interesting.

Last edited by ecman51; 09-04-08 at 06:11 AM. Reason: added more
Old 09-04-08, 06:13 AM
B
Yes, I returned both units. I called Whirlpool directly and they gave me the run around on both stoves and said they could send out a repair technician to look at it, but said with what I was describing it was unlikely that it was anything that could be simply fixed.

Old 09-04-08, 02:19 PM
E
I woud have told them that if that is the case, then they may have something wrong in the design, where proper consideration was not given for gasket thickness on the sides, or something, that most likely is not allowing for a good seal at the top. And that children, who have more tender skin, could be burned by this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: