Ice maker only makes about 2 cubes per day.

Old 09-05-08, 08:37 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ice maker only makes about 2 cubes per day.

I have a Samsung with freezer on bottom. We bought it from a couple who had only had it a year. It was making ice for them. But ever since I hooked it up a couple of weeks ago, it will only produce a couple of cubes per day. Any thoughts?

Old 09-05-08, 10:10 AM
H
Are the cubes full size ones, or do they look like smaller than normal? Could be water coming to the ice maker water valve located in the bottom back of the refrigerator doesn't have a good flow. Ice maker thinks the bin is full, and won't make any more. Give us just a little more information.

Himeros

Old 09-08-08, 11:01 AM
G
The few its made are regular size, but its not making any now and hasn't in the few days since I first posted this. I'm thinking it may be a frozen water line. I say that because the temperature range on the digital display will go from -4 to +6. It was set on -2 when I got it. I got the ice cream out yesterday and it was like a rock! I've now bumped it up to +6 Do you think this is a possiblity? If so, is there any way to unfreeze it without totally thawing everything out?

Old 09-09-08, 09:39 AM
H
Feel inside the icemaker cavity to see if there is ice cubes there. If not, fill the cavity with water, make sure the icemaker is turned on. and see if it makes cubes within 2 hours.

Himeros

Old 09-10-08, 01:04 PM
G
Here is an update. I unplugged the fridge and shut off the water. Then I took a hairdryer to the icemaker and got everything thawed out. Plugged her back in and turned the water back on. It immediately proceeded to make 2 trays of ice like clockwork, but all the while the freezer temp bottomed out at -16 degrees, even though it was set at +6. The temp has recovered to +6, but it quit making ice after the 2nd tray. I am lost.

Old 09-10-08, 03:45 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am not experienced with ice makers, really. But I'm not afraid of anything based on all my combined experience in many fields, and use mechanical know-how/diagnostics approach for what I DO know.

Since it bottomed out at -16, and you did not have it set for that, this leads me to believe you have a thermsotat issue, and that maybe this is freezing your water supply itself, perhaps. Just a guess.

You managed 2 trays after thawing it all out, because it did not get to -16 yet (or at least prolonged at that temp.). Then when it did, you were back to square one again.

Old 09-10-08, 03:48 PM
G
Well, I had thought about that also. But my only hesitation with that is, other than this time when I thawed it out and plugged it back in, it had steadily maintained the correct temp. Other than not making ice, it stays on the temp I have it set at.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: