need help with hot coils on freezer

Old 09-07-08, 09:55 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need help with hot coils on freezer

Hello all, need some advice.
I have a Kenmore model 564.29501990 small freezer. It works great. However, last night I noticed heat rolling out from the back side along the wall. Felt the coils on the back and they were too hot to touch. I didn't think it had auto defrost because I have always had some ice in it and had to open it before to allow to melt. Checked it again this morning, still pretty warm, not quite as hot. Now, 2 hrs later, it was cool. I noticed it getting hot again before I wrote this. Do I have a potential fire here, or is this a normal thing or what.
Help
Thanks much.
kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-08, 10:58 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not a freezer guy, but do my share of refrigerator calls (refrigerators have freezers and it all is under the broad category of 'refrigeration'.). Normally the coil can get quite warm and can actually be burning hot by the compressor (because the compressor is likewise as hot), and tapers off in temp. from hot to quite warm, to warm, throughout the coil.

See if entire coil is hot. Normally if freon is low, the compressor has to run and run to try to make temperature, and the compressor and part of the high side coil can get real hot. But then normally with freon loss, the bulk of the hot coil won't even be warm! That is a good tip-off that you are low on freon. So feel the entire coil.

Otherwise, if that WHOLE coil is that hot, I'd check to see what kind of temp is in your freezer, and perhaps suspect a stuck stat where it is running constantly trying to make temp., but can't, due to bad stat.

That is my initial guess.

Old 09-08-08, 11:20 AM
H
Probably doesn't have a fan back there, so perhaps a few more inches or room to let that coil cool down more would help.

Himeros

Old 09-08-08, 05:30 PM
E
A good suggestion by Himeros since I heard on the radio recently, that by pulling a unit away from the wall 1 additional inch, to allow the coils to breathe better, can save 10% on the energy useage.

Old 09-10-08, 06:43 PM
P
Hey guys, thanks for the input. So far, here is what I'm looking at. It gets hot all over, not just one area. Now, going by the first advice, I would agree, thermostat issue causing it to run alot. However, I may have left something out that may be an answer to this. Curious as to what you guys say. I always heard that an empty freezer is an inefficient freezer. Need stuff in there to hold the temp when you open it. I have one steak on top. And about 12 beer mugs on the bottom. It is under my bar and other than a small amount of food overflow from the family freezer, it is used to frost beer glasses as I have beer on tap down there. THe other night when I noticed it, I was having folks over and was pulling beer mugs out quite often. Opening the door a bunch of times like that may have been causing it to run too much. Whatta ya think? It's been fairly fine since. Now and then, I notice hot coils again, but they cool after a short while when I recheck it.

Old 09-11-08, 04:57 PM
E
Do you know where a thermostat is located in your machine? Maybe it has thickly frosted over, and is being insulated from knowing the real temp inside, so it keeps running. And then the coils get hot because it keeps running.

Old 09-13-08, 04:56 PM
P
No not really. You may be right, but I couldn't tell ya where it's at. I had that problem on an upright once and you could see that. I fixed that one fine a few times. But this, I'm not sure.

Old 09-13-08, 06:12 PM
E
By opening and closing it, with little inside, it could have ran longer and got hot. Then if the coils got cool, we'd have to know if the compressor shut off or not, to determine if that is meaningful.

If the compressor keeps running, I'd like to know how cold that unit gets inside, for one thing.

Is the gasket good?

Is this a self defrost model?

If low on freon, quirky things can happen where one minute it can work normal and have hotter coils and then later on the hot coils may be cool even though it has still been running steady. But when this happens, the cooling temp just is not going to be there. Cool hot(condensor) coils(when compressro running) also = warmer inside(evaporator) coils.

We have to know what kind of temp your freezer has been running at and if it is too warm or deviates substantially from time to time. Put a thermometer in there and pay attention to the running time of the compressor.

It be nice if you could find where to access to get to cooling coils also and see what the coils look like in there, like if they are encased in a block of ice or something, or if just frosted over some.