Blinking light on KitchenAid Dishwasher

Old 09-10-08, 08:52 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blinking light on KitchenAid Dishwasher

This is a description of a problem I had with my KitchenAid Dishwasher last month and how I fixed it. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

About a month ago, my KitchenAid Dishwasher stopped working. It would not start a cycle. This dishwasher has a membrane type touch panel on top of the door. One of the lights would steadily blink.

Behind the kick plate of the dishwasher, you should find the schematic diagram and service instructions for the dishwasher. In the service instructions, it gives some steps to diagnose whether the problem is in the electronic control module or the control panel.

For the electronic control module, it suggests running the diagnostic sequence. Well, nothing happened which seems to indicate a problem with the control panel keypad.

For the control panel keypad, it lists what pins are connected to what pins. I took a multimeter and checked each pin in order to verify that the ones listed are connected and the ones listed are not connected.

For instance, it might say 1-5, 1-6, 1-14. I would put a probe on pin 1 and then the other probe on pin 5. The multimeter should indicate that they're connected. Same goes for pins 1 & 6 and then pins 1 & 14. But pins 1 & 2 should not be connected (open circuit).

By methodically checking the pins on the connector to the control panel keypad, I was able to determine that there was a short at a few of the connections. After getting the new part from KitchenAid (under warranty) and replacing it, the dishwasher was working again.

Old 09-11-08, 03:49 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So it was the control module?

Nice to know that at least this manufacturer gave instructions how to diagnose. Worth everyone check their manual or tech sheet in dishwasher then, that's for sure.

I'd like to know how many companies do this. In fact, now if I were to buy such a machine new, I'd ask the sales person if they happen to know if that brand supplies information on diagnosing your own machine, and if they'd happen to have a copy I could read over, in advance of me buying it.

Nothing more frustrating than having these digital controlled machines of today, and wondering if it is an actual problem, or if it is the circuit board itself, and trying to figure out where to begin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: