GE Potscrubber 970 - Leaks

Old 09-12-08, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Potscrubber 970 - Leaks

Our GE Potscrubber 970 leaks when it's draining. Took the front access cover off and watch as the drain solenoid clicked downward, a trickle of water followed the solenoid assembly spring, and dropped to the floor. When the solenoid disenguaged, half way or all the way upward, the leak stopped. I can't see if there is an o-ring behind the solenoid valve or anything. Doesn't look like either hoses are leaking, but I can't see them that well either. I was thinking of removing the unit and laying on it back to get a better look at the whole mess. Any ideas ??? Thanks...

Old 09-12-08, 05:49 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your plan is as good as any, unless someone steps forward and says something to the effect you reach under to such and such and tighten or repace such and such without having to move the machine. Hopefully though you visibly find something obvious when you are disconnected from water/drain.

Post back what you find, if you will, to maybe help someone else. I have to check out things wrong with *3* dishwashers, for a different landlord, early next week. I'm kind of rusty.

Old 09-13-08, 09:14 AM
Part-II

OK... I removed the solenoid assy, 3 screws and a "C" clip, a saw no leak lines... The shaft that stickout of the "pump area ???" and is attached to the solenoid contol, seems wet... This must be the drain valve or flap in the pump area... Is this replacable - easily or do I need to remove the dishwasher and tear it down to get at it ??? Also, is this pump area (where the drian line connects) all one peice when I purchase it or can I jus buy this valve/flap "thingy" ??? Thanks again

Old 09-13-08, 10:11 AM
E
Like you, I do not have a clue. What I usually do in such cases is I run to my favorite girls at one of our local appliance repair shops and they bring up the part on the screen or get one from the back room and then I can look at it and then compare to what I saw visible in the unit, and surmise at what I am up against as far as dismantling. And then weigh out with the landlord if due to age of the unit if it is worth taking the time to go thru all the work or replace the unit.

Homeowners such as yourself are often at an advantage, even over the pros since the pro is going to be charging a lot of money, a non-DIY'er will likely say forget it and get another unit. Where an avid DIY'er who hates defeat will spend a weekend on the thing (washing machines fall into this category also) as a combination hobby and sense of achievement thing.

Old 09-13-08, 11:48 AM
Got it - I hope...

Got it - I hope... Took out the dishwasher (what fun) and laid her on her back... Removed motor and water/drain cavity and went to visit the local parts store... He said there is packing material (shaft seal) and a push nut on the drain "flapper" thats bad...Makes sense since thats where the solenoid connects to... $26.00 later - not bad, but 3-4 day to wait for parts - UGH... Wife is going to like not hot water at kitchen sink (and not dishwasher)...

Now I got to remember how to put it all back together !!!Beer 4U2

Old 09-13-08, 12:04 PM
E
Let us know how you make out.

I hate working on dishwashers. Washers and dryers you can kinda hide from the people down there. But upstairs they watch you (if they are home) and ask you how's it coming, like right after you access it.

Old 09-23-08, 02:46 PM
No Joy

FINALLY got the seal and push nut. Installed, water on and power but still leaks, same place, at the drain valve shaft, as before. Seal is well seatted and pushnut all the way down. Does it matter if it "butterflies" upward or downward ???

Looking at "another leaky dishwasher" solenoid picture, its just like my Potscrubber 970.

Any other ideas ???

Old 09-24-08, 05:03 AM
C
i bet its wasn't leaking there. as mine looks to be coming from the motor shaft. but, i have to take a better look

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: