Whirlpool Dryer Won't Tumble

Old 09-12-08, 10:58 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Dryer Won't Tumble

IGNORE THIS THREAD, OR TELL ME HOW TO DELETE IT

I have a Whirlpool dryer from 2000, model ler5636eq3. I have tried to fix it but I must be missing something. Please help as the clothes are stacking up.

With the original problem if I turned the dial to one of the time settings the heat would come on even with the door open. I would have to turn it to an off position to turn off.

I disassembled it and there wasn't anything obviously broken. A couple repair people said that I should replace the motor.

I bought a replacement motor Jason 279827. I've put it in place, no problem. I haven't assembled the whole thing, just attached the door switch. Now I plug it in and whether in the dial is in the time settings or in the off setting there is no heat and the motor isn't spinning.

What am I missing. The wires are slightly different but the wiring harness plugs in. Do I need to reassemble the whole thing to make it work? Seems like I should push the button and it'll spin but maybe there is another kill switch.

Thanks

Last edited by gte215r; 09-12-08 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Second small error, I figured it out.
Old 09-12-08, 11:17 PM
G
SORRY, please do not respond

The door switch wasn't connected correctly, must have gotten knocked loose in the process. It all run fine now and heats right.

Old 09-14-08, 03:04 PM
G
OK, I guess it isn't fixed, please help

I ran the dryer without the drum in place and it worked so I told you I didn't need any more help.

Then I reassembled the dryer and its doing the same thing. If it is on a mode setting and plugged in, the heat comes on and it doesn't tumble. Pushing the start switch does nothing at all. If you turn it to an off mode the heat turns off.

I'm guessing it must be an electrical issue, but no idea where to start with testing switches. Its a very simple dryer, no variable tumble speed, three heat modes, on/off switch and door switch. I think the start button might be the issue because the mode dial is turning the heat on and off and on. Pressing the start button has no effect. At the same time the door switch doesn't seem to care if the door is open or closed.

HELP! The clothes are stacking up and I'm running out of time. I didn't want to start a new thread so I'm hoping you notice this one.

Old 09-14-08, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
I guessing that you have the door switch wired wrong, Do you have a ohm meter? will need one to do any tests.

Old 09-14-08, 05:03 PM
G
I have a multimeter

I have a multimeter, though I haven't changed anything about the door switch, only plugged it in an unplugged it a couple times.

Willing to try. Just let me know how it is supposed to work.

Old 09-15-08, 03:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Dose your dryer have a light? Door open light circuit 0 ohms, run side open. door is the reverse. Start button with button pushed 0 ohms. If your meter has conitiunity checker use that, complete circuit it buzzes.

Old 09-15-08, 05:21 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by gte215r View Post
I ran the dryer without the drum in place and it worked ...Then I reassembled the dryer and ...If it is on a mode setting and plugged in, the heat comes on and it doesn't tumble.
I condensed some important key things you said above, that can steer us onto proper questioning.

Have to know right first thing if you actually saw the motor shaft spin, when the belt was off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: