Refrigerator problem (Amana)

Old 09-13-08, 07:11 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator problem (Amana)

I have an Amana top freezer model TR21S4W. I have searched different forums and have not seen any symptoms the same as mine. It will run for 2 weeks with the freezer at 0 and the frig between 35 and 40 and then after a defrost cycle the evaporator fan will only run once. When it cools back down to about 37 it shuts off and the next time the compressor runs the evaporator fan will not run. Eventually the frig will warm up to 45 or 50 while the freezer is normal. I've been next to it when the compressor starts and I can hear the evap fan trying to start but it won't. Is the fan bad? What can I check? By the way, when I first start up after being off for a while the evaporator fan runs the whole time the compressor is running and after a while it sounds like it revs up and stops, revs up and stops. It does this continuously. Is this the way it is supposed to run?

There is no frost build up. After having the back off and finding no frost, the evap fan ran once while the compressor was running. Once everything stopped, the fan did not come on again.

Old 09-14-08, 06:50 AM
I
I am not a expert but I have changed out defrosting coils,fans and relays in some models. I would think the fan needs replacing. They get wear sometimes and after defrost, they warm up and the motor is able to fire up and go but after it gets really cold maybe it cant overcome the resistance of the cold lubricate or wear.
I would take a voltage reading on the motor when its suppose to be on. When the the refrigerator area is warmer and is calling for colder air.
If you hear it trying to start that is also a indication that the motor is becoming weak or maybe not getting enough voltage to start.

Be careful with voltage readings... Your dealing with FATAL voltages.

Old 09-14-08, 09:38 AM
W
Thanks for the reply. When my son was here and heard the fan running one time, he said it didn't sound too good. I will try to replace it.

Long before the frig started getting warm, the fan did the rev up and stop like I described in my post and the frig did stay cool enough. I wonder if that is normal.

Old 09-30-08, 05:57 PM
W
I've taken this apart and found that the evaporator fan motor is an ECM motor by GE and has been discontinued. I have not been able to find a direct replacement. The closest I've been able to find with an ECM motor that looks just like the one I removed has different wattage. The one I removed had 3.4w - the other has 2.1w. The part no. on the one I removed is: 106542-06 the other is: 106542-07. Would it be safe to try this one?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: