Non-metalic thermal break

Old 09-14-08, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Non-metalic thermal break

I am installing a over the island range hood. It calls for the installation of both a backdraft damper and a non-metalic thermal break as part of the duct work. I have googled the term "Non-metalic thermal break" and I get very little information returned.
What is a non-metalic thermal break? What does it look like? Where do I buy one?
thanks

Old 09-15-08, 05:34 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you tried asking a home center, where you can buy these, or an appliance parts store? I'm guessing this must mean at least all or part of the duct perhaps insulated flex or a plastic to cut down on condensation falling out and either staining the ceiling or coming right out of the hood and onto the stove.

I know that with bath fans, I have had to insulate attic ducts that were only metal, as condensation - moist room air condensing do to the laws regarding the dew point - and running down the piping and causing water damage around the ceiling in the area of the bath fans. Also, if uninsulated duct is used horizontally in attics where warm moist room air (cooking steam would even be worse I'd imagine!) can freeze solid in long runs of horizontal duct in the attic, if not thorougly buried deep under the insulation in northern climates! Also, if the vertical height between the ceiling and roof is great enough it will condense and fall out as water also.

Old 09-17-08, 09:53 AM
Thank you Ecman51 for your help. It appears that even the range hood manufactures do not know what they are talking about when they write about a 'non-metalic thermal break'. I was told by one that it is basicly plastic duct that is insultated and I can get it at any hardware store. Not sure using plastic duct is wise for a range hood installation nor possibly up to any kind of 'code'. Anyway I went to one of the big name hardware stores and the 'pro' desk was stumped. So I then called a big name building supply warehouse and they were stumped.
My version of a 'thermal break' will be metal duct with several dampers (outside vent and inline) that is well insulated.
thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: