Fridge and Freezer warm

Old 09-29-08, 11:58 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fridge and Freezer warm

The inside of my Maytag MSD2454GR is about 50 degrees on both the freezer and fridge side.

Surface temp of compressor is 107, it cycles on about every 40 seconds and then off after 5 seconds of running.

I did find the wiring schematic here: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...ponents%20list

Side note: I did remove the ice maker two weeks ago because it was putting current back into my water line.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I was reading this thread http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=359367 to help diagnose my problem.

Old 09-29-08, 04:14 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
First I'd try to eliminate the possiblity of pressures messed up and unplug the fridge for about 10 minutes. Then plug it back in and see if it still goes out after 5 seconds, still. 107 is not very hot. I think you may just have a bad relay and/or run capacitor that are both down there attached at your compressor terminals. A very reasonable replacement and DIY-able. Cheaper to replace parts and be wrong, than a tech service call, in this case.

Old 09-29-08, 05:00 PM
M
Thanks. I unplugged the refrigerator for 10 minutes and plugged it back in. Same results. You hear the click of the relay and the hum of the compressor, then in about 5 seconds it turn off.

I forgot to mention, but the fan is constantly on pulling the air across the evap coils.

I placed an order for the capacitor and relay 50 bucks.

Old 09-29-08, 05:47 PM
M
Should I unplug the fridge until the parts come in? Or is it okay to leave it on? Seems like it is staying 50 degrees on both sides.

Old 09-30-08, 05:49 AM
M
I unplugged it this morning, the insides were 62 degrees.

Old 09-30-08, 06:16 AM
E
I'm really not positive on the science of that, to be honest. But it seems like it would not be too good to have that thing trying to click on and off all the time. You'd think it be hard on the compressor and the pressures inside may be all screwed up with this going on.

Old 09-30-08, 11:06 AM
H
Sounds to me like the relay could be the problem. unplug this refrigerator, move it so you can get to the back of it. There is an relay assembly on the left side of the compressor that will unplug. Unplug that, and shake it hard, if it sounds like there is sand or small rocks inside, it is bad.

H.

Old 09-30-08, 11:29 AM
M
Yea, I did that and yes it sounded like it had rocks in it. So i order a new one (overload/relay). Also ordered the run start capacitor. Thanks.

Old 10-03-08, 07:12 AM
M
Thanks for the advice. I replace the overload/relay and it's back in working order.

The rest of this post is just for reference incase someone else has this problem.

It was a Maytag side by side, Model # msd2454gr

I ordered relay overload assembly 61004918 from Sears.
Here is the link http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...supplierId=464

I ordered run capacitor 65889-4 from Sears.
Here is the link http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...supplierId=464

I wasn't happy with them after I ordered it because they said it was on backorder after I placed my order. So I also order the parts from www.repairclinic.com

Overload/Relay 1378508
Run capicator 674876

Old 10-03-08, 07:44 AM
E
That is great news. Glad to hear when it all works out and someone DIY'ed something successfully and saved money. And also learned something, they can even pass on to others.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: