Washing machine problem: won't spin & noisy

Old 09-29-08, 04:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Washing machine problem: won't spin & noisy

Hi Everyone,
I have a front loading high efficiency Whirlpool washing machine that is about 3 years old. Recently it started making a loud metal clanging sound while spinning and it will not spin the clothes dry anymore....it only spins on the lowest speed in order to wash the clothes and will not do the usual high speed spin towards the end of the wash...and now the washer retains some water and the clothes are very wet.

I checked the drain hose and it looks clear but I'm guessing its more than that since there is a loud metal clanging sound that is new.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this or what the problem may be? Thanks!

Old 09-29-08, 05:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Please give model #. Where is the noise coming from bottom, back? Take 3 screws out of bottom panel and listen there. Pump right in front with a cap that comes off to clean pump. Be careful water will come out. If machine not drained about 5 to 6 gallons there. Empty machine will still have 1/2 gallon about.

Old 09-29-08, 06:32 PM
J
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
Please give model #. Where is the noise coming from bottom, back? Take 3 screws out of bottom panel and listen there. Pump right in front with a cap that comes off to clean pump. Be careful water will come out. If machine not drained about 5 to 6 gallons there. Empty machine will still have 1/2 gallon about.
Thanks for the responce. The model # is LHW0050PQ.
The sound comes from the back area in the bottom. I will open the washer up tomorrow and check the water pump like you said. I will let you know how it goes....any other ideas?
Thanks

Old 09-30-08, 02:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Sry model # did not work only thing I can think of that is back there is the pulley that turns basket. If nut has come loose or pulley has wobbled out the center hole you will geta loud noise. You have to take off the back panel to access the pulley.

Old 10-02-08, 07:29 AM
J
Question update...

Ok, I got the back open and opened up the water pump and looks like I found what was broken....it looks like the little white plastic things have broken off from a loose screw that was caught in there. That would explain the loud noise that was coming from it when it was trying to empty the water out.

Can someone please help me out by telling me what the actual term for this thing is called so I can try and order the new part for it.
Here is the link to a picture of the part:

Thanks

Old 10-02-08, 08:04 AM
J
Smile

I think i figured it out... I can only order the whole pump (not components of it) and it runs around $50. The part number for the pump 8182415. Hope that helps anyone else who may have the same problem.
Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: