Washer drain pump height question

Old 10-03-08, 08:18 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washer drain pump height question

Hi:

We just moved into a new house. We also bought a new washer and dryer. The previous owners ran the drain hose into the sump well. Now, there's a newly-installed drain that goes right into the sewer line -- where it should be.

Trouble is, the drain tube didn't reach, so the installers left it and told us (I wasn't home during the delivery) to put a longer hose on it.

So I bought a six-foot rubber tube. I threaded one end into the U-shaped frame/guide and hooked it over the drain. No problem.

Now, the other end. It's narrower than the ribbed plastic drain hose, so I stuffed it into the drain hose and installed clamps.

My questions:

1) is water gonna come shooting out of this thing when I run a load for the first time?

2) I figure it's close to 6 feet from the drain connection on the washer to the end, and that's straight up. Will a standard washing machine pump water this far upward? If not, what can I do?

Old 10-04-08, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Did you make the drain hose smaller than the orignal hose? Lot of water comes out of hose and need large hose. 6 feet is about max fo lift on washer pumps mostlt because there are no check valves in drain line and any extra water in hose drains back into washer after it shuts off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: