Kenmore 90 Series Washer

Old 10-17-08, 10:17 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore 90 Series Washer

I'm a newbie and need help with my washer! When it fills up and drains the water,it also leaks from the back close to the top. Not by any hoses that are connected to the back tho. When I reach my hand up into where the water should be coming out to fill the basket, I feel a hose, and when I push the hose up while its filling the leaking from the back stops. I'm figuring it has to do something with that hose, but I'm not sure how to get to it.Does the top of the washer lift up or do I have to unscrew the back of it to get access to that hose? Or am I looking at a pump problem? Please help!

Old 10-17-08, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
You won't need all of this but here is a link to remove cabinet
http://repair2000.com/coupling.html Post model # and can help better

Old 10-17-08, 06:00 PM
C
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
You won't need all of this but here is a link to remove cabinet
http://repair2000.com/coupling.html Post model # and can help better
Sorry about that.Model # 92597200. Kenmore Ultra Fabric Care Heavy Duty 90 Series Quiet Pak.

Old 10-18-08, 05:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How much water is leaking? Have seen small amounts of water splash off tub top and hit floor. Have not been able to get answer from Whrilpool as to fix for that problem, When you have cabinet off make sure that there are 3 tub springs and 1 balance spring on and connected.

Old 10-18-08, 09:21 AM
C
How much water is leaking? Have seen small amounts of water splash off tub top and hit floor. Have not been able to get answer from Whrilpool as to fix for that problem, When you have cabinet off make sure that there are 3 tub springs and 1 balance spring on and connected.
Thank you for helping me, not very good as a handyman (ex use to fix everything)! More than just a splash.Water is running out the back of the Kenmore from top.Waiting on my brother to bring tools,as soon as I get cabinet off I will look at springs, but water leaks as it fills and drains.From what I can tell (without it apart) thats the olny time it leaks.It started off slow so I didn't notice it until it started almost like pouring out.Thanks again!

Old 10-18-08, 09:54 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have not been able to get answer from Whrilpool as to fix for that problem,...
I've fixed this problem on older models by running a bead of silicone caulk ontop of existing tub-top gasket, and letting it set up a day before closing the top of the machine back down onto the caulk/ribbed rubber gasket, and this stopped the splash-out leaking onto floor.

Old 10-18-08, 10:04 AM
E
Originally Posted by csmith64 View Post
Thank you for helping me, not very good as a handyman (ex use to fix everything)! More than just a splash.Water is running out the back of the Kenmore from top.Waiting on my brother to bring tools,as soon as I get cabinet off I will look at springs, but water leaks as it fills and drains.From what I can tell (without it apart) thats the olny time it leaks.It started off slow so I didn't notice it until it started almost like pouring out.Thanks again!
You can see that it is coming from the top? Odd it could leak from top while draining, also, unless you have combo drain and spin, and the swirl action is sloshing it up over the top. Does it only do this when water level is set to high, or can it also leak out in drain mode when set to low water level setting?

I have had older washing machines, that still work good, slosh water out the top vertical side of the tub, due to pinhole rust-through caused by out-of-balance loads, over the years, causing inner tub to scrape holes through outer tub. I fix this by buying those red-rubber 6x6 inch rubber sheets, sold in my home center's plumbing dept. section (used for gasket making) and I cut about 1 1/2 inch strips x 6 inch and silicone caulk adhere them over the rust-thru, one strip next to the other, doing like 3 or 4 of these - and this works and stops the leak, permanantly for good. [You need to let the caulk set up under the rubber for at least one day without machine use.]

Old 10-18-08, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you take cabinet off look at water pump mounted on the front of motor. take the 2 clips off and look at seal area where motor enters the pump. Any black streaks indicate a leak.

Old 10-22-08, 04:15 PM
C
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
You can see that it is coming from the top? Odd it could leak from top while draining, also, unless you have combo drain and spin, and the swirl action is sloshing it up over the top. Does it only do this when water level is set to high, or can it also leak out in drain mode when set to low water level setting?

I have had older washing machines, that still work good, slosh water out the top vertical side of the tub, due to pinhole rust-through caused by out-of-balance loads, over the years, causing inner tub to scrape holes through outer tub. I fix this by buying those red-rubber 6x6 inch rubber sheets, sold in my home center's plumbing dept. section (used for gasket making) and I cut about 1 1/2 inch strips x 6 inch and silicone caulk adhere them over the rust-thru, one strip next to the other, doing like 3 or 4 of these - and this works and stops the leak, permanantly for good. [You need to let the caulk set up under the rubber for at least one day without machine use.]
My bad, it doesn't leak when draining(That I know of, haven't used it since this started). The leak is coming from I'm guessing the pump,two hoses are attached to it I took the cabinet off and its the thing right in front on the bottom. Would applying a silicone ring around it help? At least for a quick fix till I can get a new one.

Old 10-22-08, 05:29 PM
E
Can you see if it is coming from the hose ends? Or coming from a split in the casting of the plastic? Or perhaps from the top from maybe the shaft that spins it? If the later, nothing is going to stop that. If from the hoses, remove and see what is up, and if that really was the source of the leak or the water just wound up there. if the original spring clamps were on it, then you might try the stainless steel band clamps instead. If say from a factory fuse-weld joint in the plastic body of the pump, you could try to seal that with some silicone or epoxy putty, but certain oily plastics cannot be adhered to very successfully.

It is possible you have a sock or something in there in such a spot that excessive pump water backpressure is being exerted, causing water to escape when it normaly would not (Just a theory. I've personally not ever had that, but you never know)

Old 11-05-08, 09:15 AM
C
Well I'm pretty sure that the pump is bad, water just leaking out still from bottom of it. Silicone didn't stop it. My next question is, how hard is it to replace the pump? Would it be something that I can do on my own or do I need to call in a professional? Also would it be to expensive to replace, or should I just start looking for a new washer? One more thing I got to say is, that you are so helpful, I'm so glad I found you all!!

Old 11-05-08, 12:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look back to 2nd post it's the same repair but you don't have to go so far into repair. Pump is mounted on front of motor,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: