Okay to purchase Kenmore Dryer w/CLUNK?

Old 10-27-08, 07:33 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay to purchase Kenmore Dryer w/CLUNK?

What a great forum!

I am in the process of moving our front-load Kenmore washer/dryer to an upstairs location which requires electric (220) versus gas.

I have the opportunity to purchase a Kenmore FrontLoad Electric Dryer, MOdel 417.82052102 for $50. The owner says it's in good shape, but there is a clunk every turn or so .. and it supposedly goes away after about 5 minutes of usage.

Does this sound like an expensive fix? I am fairly handy and I've even done some work on dryers/rollers before. Before I pull the trigger, does anyone have advice? Anyone familiar with the reliability of this model, to start with?

Old 10-27-08, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Good reliable dryer, couple of problems that can come up. 1st is that the front seals can wear out and get rust stains on clothes. 2 different repairs for this problem 1 is to replace drum and seal (fairly expensive ) the other is to replace top and bottom seal, either works well but replacing just seals they may go bad again in about 5 years. The other common problem is the rear plastic bearing can wear out and squeak. I would take dryer apart if you get it and grease the bearing (15 minute job)
The thumping noise is probably the rollers and nothing to worry about.

Old 10-28-08, 10:32 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you! As an aside, I have the gas version of this dryer and was wondering why the tips of my collars of white shirts had brown on them. If I'm not mistaken, that is the problem you are highlighting?

Is there a link to the seals and how to repair anywhere that's available? Thank you!

- John.

Old 10-28-08, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Here is a link to the first machine you posted, Seals should be the same
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...ponents%20list
20 and 21 are the seals, Let us know how repairs went. Grease the bearing when apart.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: