Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Kenmore Dryer runs for short time...turns off...then turns off...then turns on??

Kenmore Dryer runs for short time...turns off...then turns off...then turns on??

Old 11-05-08, 07:34 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a Kenmore Model 110 66912692 SN#MJ0940122 Dryer that has me stumped. I have put in a new motor and it was doing fine for short time. Now it has gone back to running for a short time, turning off for short time, turning back on for short time, and so on until it has finished the load. I am thinking maybe it is a heat problem and removed the lower panel while running and it has not helped nor did it feel TOO HOT for the unit. Any ideas before I use my BIG HAMMER?

Thanks

Old 11-06-08, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Not a common problem, Was it doing the same thing with old motor? Check connections where the cord connects to machine, They can be loose and cause your problem but usually that will burn cord and terminal block. Check to see if door switch is tight and electrical y working. If new problem since motor change might be centrifugal switch but I would not expect to see same problem with 2 motors . Look at belt switch located under motor pulley. Let us know how things are going.

Old 11-06-08, 05:59 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you really did the hammer thing, you'd have to post a pic.

So it does this without having to stop the machine or open and close the door, or anything like that? It simply shuts off and restarts basically right during it's cycle? Do these short times it is in off mode, last long enough to test components?

Since dryers can be completely opened up to see every single thing, have you done so and looked at every connection and even removed spades and reinstalled to make sure they slip on tight? Have you checked where the 2 hot and 1 neutral wire is attached at the terminal block at the back of the dryer? Be sure to check voltage at recepticle with the plug pulled out about 1/4 inch so yo can actrually have the machine running while you have meter on each opposing slot.

We could say it must be timer related? But you need to check out everything else first.

Oh. And this: Yes the motor may be shutting off under load. May be cheap foreign motors where horsepower is barely enough to keep up with a fine tuned machine. Now if your unit has any drag due to blower wheel resistance, or idler tensioner pulley resistance, or bad drum support bearing, or worn front teflon glides - it may be putting the motor on thermal overload.

I came back here with another thought. I have never heard of this, but maybe it is possible that if a thermal fuse is heated just to a certain point it may break contact and come together again without it being destroyed. I had a dryer once do what yours did. The dryer did this now and then. Finally the landlord got sick of me having to go there and just got another dryer (I hate that as I always want problems to be resolved), so I never got to find out what caused this. It was only guesses. I am going to ask my appliance repair company if it is even possible for a thermal to do this, where say it warps a little and then reactivates. Of the various things I break open to inspect, I have never opened up a thermal fuse, I guess figuring you'd destroy it just getting in for a sneak peek.

Maybe one type of thermal fuse can behave that way. You'd have to have dryer open and catch it in off mode and quickly test that fuse.

Last edited by ecman51; 11-06-08 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-06-08, 08:34 PM
T
To answer PUGSI, yes it was doing the same thing with the old motor. When i put in the NEW motor I did make sure all fittings we very tight and secure. The door switch is working great. What is strange is that it worked fine for about 6 months..then started the on off routine. Not sure about a belt switch but I will open it up and look for that one. Thanks for your help!

To answer ECMAN51, yes, it automatically turns off and then back on again, over and over during the drying cycle. If I open the door, I then would have to push the start button to get it to start again. But then it only clicks, waiting until it wants to start. That seems to tell me that it is some sort of sensor that is keeping the unit from running all the time. I have not yet taken out to the garage and strip it down yet but that is my next step to see if I can test anything when open. I think your idea of a thermal fuse of some sort maybe malfunctioning. Even though the machine does not get HOT inside the unit but maybe too hot inside the drum? Not a load issue, when I put in the new motor I went ahead and replaces all the rollers and new belt. Also I have got the same result running the dryer empty.

Thanks for your help also!

Oh yeah.... Pics WILL be provided!

Old 11-07-08, 03:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Real puzzler there I think your dryer has a start button relay, Slight possibility but have never seen it. Thermo fuse are work or don't but anything is possible. If you can check if when machine stops it should have continuity.

Old 11-07-08, 06:31 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your dryer is doing EXACTLY what that college girl house dryer was doing that I never fully got the chance to diagnose. Exact same thing.

When you find YOUR problem, then I'll know for sure what it was. *I* thought it maybe was the motor going on thermal overload. But now since you said you changed yours and it still does it, that rules that out.

It also rules out bad start switch points mounted on the motor, as those are included on the new motor.

That is why I am wondering if certain thermofuses can open and close without permanently tripping out. Even though you may not have a present issue as to why the dryer should be hot and causing this. Maybe it HAD issues in the past, and the fuse got weak.

Timer points may be issue also. Heat generation through contacts can do some funny things. There may be burned points that opens up some when it gets hot from sort of arcing in there. Some dryer's timer boxes are not that hard to open up, and get at points, check each one, and even file them.

At least if you look, if say when the dryer shuts off and the thermosfuse never opened, let's say - if this was me, I'd be taking a peek inside the timer, to satisfy my curiousity.

If you knew how to read the schematic, you'd actually be able to jumper wire 2 of the right color timer wires to make it keep running. And if it stayed running, then yoiu'd know it was in the timer. But if you do not know, or can't figure out how to do that, you could at least open the timer box up carefully and see what those points look like.

It is (fine, tiny)snowing here right now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: