Recycling Electric Dryer Heat - Lint Problem

Old 11-18-08, 07:05 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recycling Electric Dryer Heat - Lint Problem

My electric clothes dryer is in a relatively open space with our bedrooms nearby. I'd like to use the warm and humid air from the electric dryer exhaust. The Dryer sits against the outside wall with an external vent hole two feet away.

I have installed a simple filter in the exhaust tube. The exhaust heat is doing the trick, but there is too much lint getting out.

Any ideas on best ways to remove the lint?

Sorry if this is already been asked - couldn't find it

Thanks

Old 11-18-08, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Another post on this......
http://forum.doityourself.com/applia...-question.html

I've often wondered about some sort of air-air heat exchanger for this kind of thing. I guess no way to extract much heat w/o restricting the flow too much.

Old 11-18-08, 07:25 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The previous thread lists two versions of a kit for the purpose in the last post however the post is slightly inaccurate.There is a damper like diverter kit specific for this and there is a water trap kit which is made for locations where a dryer needs to be vented but there is no available ability to vent outside.

Both kits have some filtering ability and this does vary by manufacturer.It is very difficult to completely eliminate lint as it contains very fine particles that can get through most filters.Also humidity in the vented air is much higher than normal inside levels.

One consideration is now much you use your dryer.Infrequent use would have little benefit.Frequent use would increase the issues.

I'd also avoid trying to create your own additional filtering as it can increase back pressure.Also if you use material subject to mold the humidity can cause the growth of it.I had a customer try to use cheesecloth which is cotton and it molded.

Old 11-18-08, 02:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Your idea is not recommended puts to much humility in air.

Old 11-18-08, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
But pugsl...everyone could probably use a little more humility.

LOL just messin with ya!

Old 11-18-08, 03:44 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
I've often wondered about some sort of air-air heat exchanger for this kind of thing. I guess no way to extract much heat w/o restricting the flow too much.
Cost and space factors.

The actual technolgy has been around for years, in high efficient furnaces and hepa filter vacuums (which allow lots of air to pass thru ultra-fine filtration).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: