roper washer clothes too wet

Old 11-18-08, 03:53 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
roper washer clothes too wet

After our washer finishes spinning, the clothes are too wet. The cycle finishes according to the timer.

The second time through on the spin cycle doesn't seem to help much.

It's a direct drive, so I there's no belt to replace.

Based on this page:
Appliance Parts from RepairClinic.com - Troubleshooting: Washing Machine

I would guess it's one of those possible causes. How do I tell which one? It started making a clunk after it stopped spinning (and maybe before, I'm not sure) a while back if that helps.

It's about 5 years old and I only paid around $300 new, so I don't think it's worth putting much money into. Should I just cut my losses and replace it? I've already replaced the water pump.

Old 11-18-08, 04:39 PM
T
Likely a weak clutch. Replacing gear case should resolve the problem. Average life expectancy of washers is 12 years. To toss a 5 y.o. washer sounds premature.

Old 11-18-08, 04:48 PM
C
I was looking on repair clinic and the gear case is about $135, but the clutch assembly is only $35. Should I just get the clutch or the whole assembly in case it's another part? Or is replacing the clutch just too difficult?

Old 11-19-08, 03:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Usual reason the clutch is slipping is that the gearcase is leaking oil into clutch. 2 ways to repair 1st is to replace clutch and gearcase, 2nd is to replace seal in gearcase and get a can of brake cleaner from auto store and clean clutch. I would also replace the drive coupler while you are there. It will save you future trouble.

Old 11-20-08, 04:43 AM
C
I'm assuming replacing the seal and cleaning the clutch is the cheapest solution. But if that's not the problem then I'll still end up replacing the gear case, correct?

As I said, it was only a $300 washer new, I've already replaced the pump to the tune of $45 this year. I don't want repairs to exceed the replacement cost.

Old 11-20-08, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Easiest way to check is hold down lid switvh put into spin cycle turn on machine and try to hold basket. if basket pulls out of your hand fairly hard than it's ok but if you can hold basket easily than you need clutch and gearcase. I Do 2 or 3 a month.

Old 11-21-08, 09:52 AM
C
Thanks. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Old 11-23-08, 10:04 AM
C
Well, I can hold the basket very easily. I guess I need the whole transmission.

Although given the repairs I've done, I'm just about ready to replace it with a better rated brand and be done with it.

Old 11-24-08, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You hAVE THE MOST RELIABLE MACHINE OUT THERE. iT IS A WHRILPOOL MACHINE JUST ON THE LOW END. sAME Machine as the more expensive whrilpools and Kenmores but with fewer bells and whistles. I would repair yours, put the seal in and clean clutch you will be ok.

Old 11-24-08, 06:25 AM
C
Thanks for the information. I'll post back if I have issues. The fix should be straight forward though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: