My oven keeps burning everything

Old 11-24-08, 04:52 PM
My oven keeps burning everything

Any idea what could be wrong w/ it?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-08, 07:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes. It is too hot.

Put a oven thermometer in there, especially in the middle and see. I have 2 ovens right now at rentals that are exactly 100 degrees off. Same brand and model oven. I told the tenants to simply set the control 100 degrees less, untill I get them another one. On the one rental, I replaced the stat 3 years ago, and it went out again already.

The part involved is the oven control switch that has the temperature numbers on it and also has that long thin cylindrical sensing bulb that hangs in the oven, attached to that switch.

You can usually adjust these switches with a set screw. And some ovens have an adjustable control knob that you can remove and loosen a screw behind it and change the setting. But you can only adjsut the temp about 25 degrees or so, in either case. Much more than that and you need a new oven control switch.

Old 11-25-08, 10:30 AM
Mine has the digital temp control (no knob). I have figured out by setting the temp to 550 & holding the button for a few seconds I can adjust it (+/- 35 degrees). I bought an oven thermometer today & will try that tonight to see how much it's off. Are the dial-type oven thermometers pretty accurate? That's the only thing I could find at Lowes this morning. Also thought I would ask if the part I need is the same on the digital type like I have? Thx for your help!

Old 11-25-08, 08:00 PM
Ok so I came home, and test the temp w/ the thermometer. I set it to 350 & to my surprise (30min later w/o opening the door) the thermometer says 350. I'm stumped. Why is my stuff burning? I burned a chicken pie on Sun & a cake yesterday. I was playing around w/ the buttons on it last night to see how to get to the spot I could adjust the temp, but I didn't change it. I did change it from F to C then back to F. Do you think playing w/ the buttons might have "fixed" it? I don't know what temp it was at last night cuz I didn't get the thermometer until today. I guess we'll see what happens on Thanksgiving. I just hope I don't ruin the turkey. Have you ever seen this happen though?

Old 11-26-08, 07:46 AM
set thermometer or hang it from rack by turkey, and check on it.

Post back if your problem resurfaces, confirmed by higher than normal thermomerter readings.

I can't guess as to why your food was burning, with no thermometer substantiation, from before.

Old 11-26-08, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by naylorchic View Post
Are the dial-type oven thermometers pretty accurate? That's the only thing I could find at Lowes this morning.
I like to compare reading with all the thermometers they sell, and choose the one where the reading is in the middle of all of them.

Old 11-26-08, 07:54 AM
I sat the thermometer in the middle of my oven, but I'll try it again w/ something in there. Do you think me switching it from F to C to F again it may have joggled something? Also if I do have to replace the part. Is the part the same on the digital type oven that I have? Thx!

Old 11-26-08, 08:23 AM
I am not familiarized with digital stoves yet. But I can tell you the part will not be the same as the old style since you do not have an actual control switch that the stat connects to.

For all I might not know, your type plugs right into your board. And you might need a new board if it were way off. But I am not sure. I think I will call my appliance repair parts pals and ask and educate myself, now that you mention this. Be right back.

I talked to the lady and she thinks there is no sensing bulb in digital units. So I asked her how it senses heat. ?? She thinks the board somehow knows, and controls everything, and the board would need to be replaced, in such a case. But she will ask a tech and I am to call her back up late this aft. Sorry (for now).

I called her back up and asked her if she knows if the board has a temp adjustment, and she said, "That I DO know -it does NOT". You have to buy a new board that she says usually ranges $175-200!

This is ridiculous - all this stuff they are causing today with this modern stuff. I want old fashion mechanical stuff you can fix in minutes and buy cheap parts for. And opt to buy a product line with no bells and whistles if you want. Especially with cars. I would personally rather have to work less, and do things more mechanically, than pay and be tortured by figuring out complex repairs that do not need to be.

Last edited by ecman51; 11-26-08 at 08:37 AM. Reason: added more
Old 11-26-08, 09:04 AM
It DOES have temp adjustment, but only within +/-35 degrees. I can't say it works on all, but on mine this is how you do it. You push bake & put the temp all the way to 550. Then press and hold bake. Eventually 00 will pop on the screen. You can then push up/down to adjust it. You can also adjust from F to C. You push vari-broil, put it on high, press & hold vari-broil & a F or C will pop up(whichever it's currently on) then press up/down to change it. I'll let ya know what happens w/ Thanksgiving. According to the thermometer last night it has been healed. I guess we'll see when I try another cake tonight. If that thermometer says 325 & my cake still burns I'm going to assume the thermometer is off.

Also I thought it would be worth mentioning that my oven does have something in that looks like it would be to sense heat. That might not be what it is, but that's what it looks like. It's in the top left corner on the back. It's a long piece of metal. Looks like some sort of probe.

Last edited by naylorchic; 11-26-08 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-26-08, 01:13 PM
Also I thought it would be worth mentioning that my oven does have something in that looks like it would be to sense heat. That might not be what it is, but that's what it looks like. It's in the top left corner on the back. It's a long piece of metal. Looks like some sort of probe.
Huh. Sounds like she did not know what she was talking about then. But she is so nice. That would be the temp sensor, alright.

I got to call the shop back up as I drove by there for lunch and one of the fleet trucks was there.

Okay - they want to know the make and model number. I did not tell lher I'm on a forum, only that I have been discussing this with someone with a problem, and that I too would like to find out how this all works, so I know in the future when I get calls for this stuff myself. They like me there.

Old 11-26-08, 01:26 PM
I just happened to think of something else important. When testing the temp with a thermometer, there is a delay between when the thermometer records the max temp and when the oven light goes off. You realy need to check the temp a goodly while after the light has been off and when it clicks back on again, so that you know that no matter when you check the temp, that once it is equalized it holds at about that temp. I have seen ovens fool you by 50-75 degrees by that delay factor, if you check what temp it is at, too soon.

Old 11-26-08, 01:34 PM
I know it's a Frigidaire, but I don't know the model. Where can I find that at on it? I hope somewhere other than the back. It gonna be a PAIN to find it on the back.

Old 11-26-08, 02:35 PM
Ok I found it. It's a Frigidaire Model # FEF365BGDC

Old 11-26-08, 03:22 PM
I know it's a Frigidaire, but I don't know the model. Where can I find that at on it? I hope somewhere other than the back. It gonna be a PAIN to find it on the back.
Not on the back. It may be under the top or if you have one of those bottom drawers, you pull the drawer out some and it may be down there.

Old 11-26-08, 03:39 PM
It's a Frigidaire Model # FEF365BGDC

Old 11-26-08, 05:48 PM
Another burnt cake. Yet the oven thermometer says 300 and the oven is on 300. So apparently the oven and the thermometer are off by the same amount. Let me know what that tech tells ya. When you get a chance to talk to him. Bet it's the sensor though.

Old 11-28-08, 04:45 PM
This does not make sense if the oven holds proper temp. I would first buy another thermometer, before doing anything. They are cheap enough.

Since a cake has to be made in a pan as opposed to out on the rack in the oven exposed to say 1000 degree radiant heat, I can't imagine what is going on. Other than -

I am not a cake maker and maybe making cakes can be tricky for all I might not know, with having to grease up the inside of the pan and what type of pan.

Maybe you are using a recipe that calls for a deep pan and a long bake time, and you instead are making a shallow cake, causing it to burn from too long a bake time?

Old 11-28-08, 08:42 PM
It's actually a bundt pan. I've made this cake A LOT of times. Always 325 degrees for about an hour and 20 min. Now it burns in 45 min. I saw that it was browning too fast again so I turned it down to 300, but I believe it was too late. I guess I could try putting the rack down a notch. I've always done it in the middle though. I'll try to find another thermometer too. Have any suggestions what kind?

Old 11-30-08, 10:04 AM
If in doubt, I have used 2 different brands of oven thermometers at the same time. Keep us updated on your mystery.

Old 12-07-11, 06:04 PM
I don't know the answer, but I do know the problem; because I have the same problem. I am the queen of thermometers and have nearly $100 on one thermometer. I've purchased analouge, digital, remote controlled... the works. I set the temp let's say for 350, the light goes off (indicating it's ready), the thermometer reads 350; and the food will be burnt or raw after proper cooking time.

Yesterday, I put in 2 pizza's. The first one was burnt at the minimum amt of cooking time. The second one was undercooked after the maximum amount of cooking time. I don't get it!

The pots/pans I have used for 20 years, and have worked fine in every other oven and I've lived in 8 to 10 different locations in the last 20 years; and NEVER had this problem.

Food is always overcooked or undercooked. Sometimes it's burnt on top and raw on the bottom. I have a family member who has had the same issue for years and begged Mgmt to replace it; but everytime the test it; they say it's fine... I didn't believe it either until I experienced it myself. This is quite annoying!

Originally Posted by ecman51 View Post
This does not make sense if the oven holds proper temp. I would first buy another thermometer, before doing anything. They are cheap enough.

Since a cake has to be made in a pan as opposed to out on the rack in the oven exposed to say 1000 degree radiant heat, I can't imagine what is going on. Other than -

I am not a cake maker and maybe making cakes can be tricky for all I might not know, with having to grease up the inside of the pan and what type of pan.

Maybe you are using a recipe that calls for a deep pan and a long bake time, and you instead are making a shallow cake, causing it to burn from too long a bake time?

Old 12-07-11, 06:08 PM
I posted above, "I don't know the answer, but I do know the problem; because I have the same problem. I am the queen of thermometers and have nearly $100 on one thermometer. I've purchased analouge, digital, remote controlled... the works. I set the temp let's say for 350, the light goes off (indicating it's ready), the thermometer reads 350; and the food will be burnt or raw after proper cooking time.

Yesterday, I put in 2 pizza's. The first one was burnt at the minimum amt of cooking time. The second one was undercooked after the maximum amount of cooking time. I don't get it!

The pots/pans I have used for 20 years, and have worked fine in every other oven and I've lived in 8 to 10 different locations in the last 20 years; and NEVER had this problem.

Food is always overcooked or undercooked. Sometimes it's burnt on top and raw on the bottom. I have a family member who has had the same issue for years and begged Mgmt to replace it; but everytime the test it; they say it's fine... I didn't believe it either until I experienced it myself. This is quite annoying!"

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

It's actually a bundt pan. I've made this cake A LOT of times. Always 325 degrees for about an hour and 20 min. Now it burns in 45 min. I saw that it was browning too fast again so I turned it down to 300, but I believe it was too late. I guess I could try putting the rack down a notch. I've always done it in the middle though. I'll try to find another thermometer too. Have any suggestions what kind?