Old 12-04-08, 10:41 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Ultimate Care Washer II spin problem

Whirlpool Ultimate Care II
model #: LSQ8543JQ0
SER #: CL0253455
Year: 2001

The washer cycles fine til it gets to the Spin cycle. drum tries to turn, but does so in a jerky fashion and very slowly while making loud banging noises at the same time. I have video this portion of the cycle and can send if allowed to help diagnose the cause. I have rem9oved the pump/motor assembly to check the motor coupling and they look fine with no broken tabs or worn out rubber bushing. Does this sound like a clutch assembly or timing switch problem? Any helkp would be appreciated. Here is a link to youtube with a video of the change from agitate to spin. Sounds terrible!

Thanks,
Gene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX-WXPeooDI

Old 12-04-08, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Did you see any oil under or around cabinet? I could not get Utube to work (never used it before) I would guess that you have a gearcase (transmission) going bad. If you see oil I would replace gearcase and clutch or get a can of brake cleaner and spray oil out of clutch.
Let us know if we can help more or how repair went.

Old 12-05-08, 06:24 AM
G
No oil leaking under the cabinet. Really all parts underneath were pretty clean. If the Clutch assembly is bad, what do I need to do to check. Can it be disassembled to check? If the clutch assembly is OK do you think it is a transmission issue. What estimated part costs am I looking at for these potential repairs.
Thanks so much for your help.

GeneH

Old 12-05-08, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here is a link to your machine
WHIRLPOOL | Model #LSQ8543JQ0 | AUTOMATIC WASHER, COMPACT A/W | SearsPartsDirect.com
I do not think it's the clutch, most likely the gearcase. Clutch will slip but I have never seenit make noise. Not a hard job, Takes me about 30 minutes but have done a lot of them. give about 1 1/2 hours to do.

Old 12-11-08, 09:42 AM
J
Same problem

I have the exact same problem. I was wondering if you are advising to replace the gearcase, and if so, the link you provided gives a price of $163. This seems expensive to me, do you know of other places to find the part cheaper. Thank you for any assistance

Old 12-11-08, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Google whirlpool gearcases or call local appliance parts store. and see there prices. They also have rebuilt one's out there but are local parts store doesn't carry them.

Old 12-21-08, 07:22 PM
H
I am also having a spin problem with my Whirlpool Ultimate Care II, when the wash cycle reaches the rinse cycle the machine does not work, there is a soft buzz sound. When I manually turn the selector High spin it works and extra rinse works. The rinse cycle does not work in any of the wash settings. I assume if the high spin works and extra rinse works then the door switch should be good. Any idea what might be the cause? Thanks for any input.

Old 12-22-08, 03:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Rinse cycles need cold water, Put your washer to fill with cold only an see if you are getting water. Buzzing could be fill valve.

Old 12-22-08, 09:26 AM
H
Thanks, I tried filling with cold and it filled. The buzzing noise sounds more elctrical to me. I notice the sound coming from somewhere inside the machine, I can hear is better when the lid is open and my ear is near the tub. Would an inlet valve not open for rinse but open for fill? I appreciate any input, if I can figure out what the problem is I should be able to fix it, trying to avoid calling a tech. Thanks again.

Old 12-22-08, 03:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you feel the water coming in washer? Was if cold or hot. Inlet valves will buzz and not fill. did you nsee the washer agitate? Does it spin?

Old 12-31-08, 03:45 AM
S
I woud check the spin basket drive block for a loose nut. If loose, the spin basket will wobble when pushed on. If ok, I would pull the tranny, turn the coupler clockwise and see if the spindle turns without jerking. If you can feal a thump while turning, you have a busteD nylon gear in the tranny.
If so, they sell a new nylon gear and pinion gear set. Part # 3360629 , Price $75 This is a messy job to replace,but probably worth it due to the $80 cost savings.
Be aware, this gear breaks a lot due to dragging brake shoes.
To check for bad brake shoes, with the tranny installed, turn the coupler clockwise. If very hard to turn with one hand when the spin gear engages, you have dragging brake shoes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: