refrigerator relay overload questions????

Old 12-07-08, 08:43 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
refrigerator relay overload questions????

I have a Mytg refrigerator who's relay overload burned up last night and smelled the whole house up. My questions are1: what would make the relay overload burn up( i.e. home wiring faulty or just the age of the fridge 6 yrs) 2: is this a common problem 3: if I wasn't home to unplug the frige could it have started a fire 4: are there any special instructions when replacing the relay? The relay burned up pretty bad, the wires were melted to the switch so I'm gonna need more wires also. Any ideas as to where to find the wires ? I found relay kit on line but no mention to whether the wires come with it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

p.s. The model of my frige is Maytag mdz2768gew, if this helps anyone.

Old 12-07-08, 09:58 AM
I
Originally Posted by rmarray View Post
I have a Mytg refrigerator who's relay overload burned up last night and smelled the whole house up. My questions are1: what would make the relay overload burn up( i.e. home wiring faulty or just the age of the fridge 6 yrs) 2: is this a common problem 3: if I wasn't home to unplug the frige could it have started a fire 4: are there any special instructions when replacing the relay? The relay burned up pretty bad, the wires were melted to the switch so I'm gonna need more wires also. Any ideas as to where to find the wires ? I found relay kit on line but no mention to whether the wires come with it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

p.s. The model of my fridge is Maytag mdz2768gew, if this helps anyone.
The reasons that it burned up are many, such as not making full contact to the compressor (knocked loose while cleaning) to poor or fluctuating voltage.
The NEC (national electrical code) now states that refrigerators are to be on a single outlet wired with 12/3 wire, protected with a 20 amp circuit breaker.
The wiring is a separate issue.
Any problems and you can contact me.

Old 12-08-08, 04:31 PM
H
You can probably find the wires are will work if you can pull them to get an extra two inches. Cut the wires off close to your old parts, and add new connectors. Install a new relay/overload, and pray your compressor is good.

H.

Old 12-09-08, 06:32 PM
R
Thumbs up

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. I guess I have to spend $50 for the relay to find out if the compressor is bad and if it is I'm assuming that the relay will blow again. That wouldn't be too good cause the misses would be pissed. Thanks again.

Old 12-10-08, 07:59 AM
I
If you have a multimeter you can check the compressor as follows:
1. Set the meter on "ohms"
2. With the relay removed you will expose three pins on the compressor in form of a triangle
3. Take the black lead of the multimeter and place on a good ground
4. Take the red lead of the multimeter and touch each pin
5. Any reading indicates a "Grounded Compressor". Replace the compressor
6. If all is good, take a reading between two pins at a time and record the readings.
7. If you do not get a reading between any two pins the compressor windings are open. Replace compressor

Old 12-10-08, 09:11 AM
H
Check online for that relay/overload assembly, you may find it at a better price, if you can wait for shipping. Sometimes you may find one on Eb*y at a reduced price. If you call your service person out, the call could be more than the relay. Good luck

H.

Old 12-10-08, 09:15 AM
B
honda generator

hi i am new to this site looking info to see if i can fix my honda generator it only puting out 170 volts on the 220 side and on the 110 side it puting out 70 volts can some tell wher to look for the trouble tu very much ben

Old 12-11-08, 02:56 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd think it be possible to have an electrically sound compressor, yet if it was somehow mechanically binding up, you'd think it could cause a strain on the electrical end of things.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: