Light/door switch broken

Old 12-11-08, 05:32 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Light/door switch broken

I have a Kenmore 110.68942891. The other day while taking a sheet out, it got caught on the light/door switch. I tried closing the door before I noticed what it was and the metal contact broke off which controls shutting the light off while the door is closed. I took out the light bulb and tried to dry some clothes but the dryer will not run. I am thinking the switch is also a safety feature to keep the dryer from running with the door opened.

I took out the light socket and unscrewed the switch hoping to get to it. My luck is not so good...I heard a mounting bracket for the switch fall inside the wall and well, I could not get to the switch anyhow, the wires were not long enough.

Now I am at a point where I need to get the bracket and the switch out. I can not figure out how to get to the front of the dryer off. The top is loose but will not come off. All the DYI articles I see tell me how to get to the back of the dryer. I am hoping I can get some suggestions so I can get back in business with out calling a service tech.

Help!!
Thanks,
Lynn

Old 12-12-08, 04:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
UNPLUG MACHINE FIRST
Here is a link to your machine
KENMORE | Model #11068942891 | ELECTRIC DRYER | SearsPartsDirect.com
Look under top and see part 14. end caps of consul they pop off. Put a small screwdriver in top backand pull forward. 2 screws under caps, remove screws and pull consul to you and tilt back, On hinges will pivot up and back. Under consul near back panel are 3 1/4 screws to remove. pull top to you and it will come off. Switch is easy to get to from there.
Keep us posted how repair went.
PS broken medal tab is on off for light and dryer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: