Maytag Washer Motor Pulley

Old 12-16-08, 04:39 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Washer Motor Pulley

I have a Maytag Atlantis, model MAV6257AWW. Long story short, the pulley on the motor shaft broke (see pic). How do I get the remaining piece off to replace it. Please tell me I don't have to buy a new motor.

Old 12-16-08, 07:56 PM
P
Anyone? Beuller?? That thing is stuck on there tight. I found a site that sells just the pulley so it must come off. I just don't want to break anything if I don't have to.

Old 12-17-08, 04:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Have never seen this before in Maytag. Before you get to far does the transmission, water pump turn. You might try a gear puller. Motor comes off base easy. Makes it much eiser to see.

Old 12-17-08, 11:43 AM
P
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
Have never seen this before in Maytag. Before you get to far does the transmission, water pump turn. You might try a gear puller. Motor comes off base easy. Makes it much eiser to see.
Water pump turns fine and the big pulley under the tub (transmission?) turns counter clockwise (spin) but not clockwise (agitate). That's the way it should be, correct? Anyway, I started a load of wash on Sunday evening and went to bed. Monday morning I still had a tub full of water but the timer cycled through. The lid switch operates and when I set to spin, the motor hummed but nothing spun so I figured broken belt. Looked underneath and the belt was in tact but on the floor and the motor pulley is as in the pic so I assume I just need a new pulley and a belt. The pulley I need is for the 10 series motor made prior to 8/18/2003.

Old 12-17-08, 01:41 PM
D
Unhappy Same problem

I have the exact same washer and the pulley on my motor broke after I had replaced the old belt and did a trial wash with the new belt. I was hoping you could share info regarding the site that sells the replacement pulley b/c a local appliance parts store told that they no longer make this part and that I would have to replce the whole motor (YIKES!). I hope you are having more success with removing the old pulley than I am (mine is still stuck on there). I've read some other posts and there seems to be either an allen screw or pin that is securing the pulley and I haven't found it on mine yet...

Old 12-17-08, 04:34 PM
P
Originally Posted by dynamyk View Post
I have the exact same washer and the pulley on my motor broke after I had replaced the old belt and did a trial wash with the new belt. I was hoping you could share info regarding the site that sells the replacement pulley b/c a local appliance parts store told that they no longer make this part and that I would have to replce the whole motor (YIKES!). I hope you are having more success with removing the old pulley than I am (mine is still stuck on there). I've read some other posts and there seems to be either an allen screw or pin that is securing the pulley and I haven't found it on mine yet...
Yes, I've seen some sites that say you must replace the motor but there are a few sites that sell just the pulley. As I said, it's a series 10 for units made before 8/18/03. I believe the series changed after that? Anyway one site is Sears Direct... Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com

Just punch in your model number and go.

The part number for the pulley is 21001506 but make sure you order for series 10.

I just ordered mine from here:

http://www.appliance-parts-warehouse...w.cfm?id=79905

I hope this helps both of us!

Old 12-17-08, 04:47 PM
P
I I hope you are having more success with removing the old pulley than I am (mine is still stuck on there). I've read some other posts and there seems to be either an allen screw or pin that is securing the pulley and I haven't found it on mine yet...
Nor have I but mine did have what I thought might be a retaining pin on the top (can't see in the picture) but it broke very easy. I can't find an allen screw. A guy I work with is checking to see if he has his gear puller. I also read it is not uncommon to have to break these off but there has to be a "correct" way to do it. Let me know if you find it and I'll do likewise.

Old 12-18-08, 10:25 AM
D
Thanks pr2300

Thank you for sharing the information. I will be sure to update with any progress. Thanks again!

-Cheers

Old 12-18-08, 12:15 PM
P
Thank you for sharing the information. I will be sure to update with any progress. Thanks again!

-Cheers
You bet. Check your private messages. I sent you a follow-up that may help.

Old 12-19-08, 05:08 PM
P
Well, it took some breaking and some cutting with a hack saw blade but I got it off. Here's what it looks like. It was frozen on there solid. I let WD-40 soak over night and all day but it didn't help.

Old 12-19-08, 06:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Is that a snap ring groove on the bottom of the shaft?

Old 12-20-08, 05:40 AM
P
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
Is that a snap ring groove on the bottom of the shaft?
It's a groove of some sort. All I know is when I bent out the 6 tabs that were set in that groove, the pulley should have slid off but of course that would be too easy.

Old 09-29-09, 11:24 AM
T
Just smoked the pulley on my Maytag washer. Had no problem cutting it off with a Dremel tool. The problem is finding the part. Everyone wants to sell me the entire motor for a 5.00 part. Checked out the sears website, and they do not sell the pulley separate. Found one replacement but they wanted 115 bucks just for the pulley. I am going to search for a used motor. If I can get it under 50 bucks I think i will take it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Beer 4U2

Old 10-11-09, 03:09 PM
N
Question Maytag 21001506

I got the same problem, the pulley totally burned! I'm not able to find the part 2100156! I'm not sure the part below can use to replace
Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Here is "melted motor pulley" doc from Maytag
http://www.servicematters.com/maytag...TDL-0143-B.pdf

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-10-10 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Link removed.
Old 10-19-09, 06:49 AM
P
Wow, I came here to search something else and saw this thread still active. Anyway, try this site. It's where I got my pulley for my Maytag. Total crap they want to make us buy a new motor. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-10-10 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Link removed.
Old 10-24-09, 01:18 PM
N
I got the part at******

It's only $4.48 + shipping ~= $ 11.00

I follow the instruction on this web site to replace my smoking motor pulley and it turn out great, my Matag MAV5000 AWW washer is back and running well. You don't need to buy a new motor!!Beer 4U2

Thank you PR2300 & everyone

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-10-10 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Link removed.
Old 05-16-10, 04:52 PM
O
Talking Plastic motor pulley melted on shaft for Maytag washer

Don't waste time to remove the melted pulley, use a flat screwdriver and tap with a hammer to split the pulley then you can easily pry it up and OFF, be careful not to bend motor shaft. Take the broken pulley you have just removed to a machine shop and buy another match metal pulley with a set screw, cost me 12 bucks. The shaft may be threaded or may be splined, put the pulley in, make sure the belt is straight between motor, pump and transmission, tighten set screws. Check the drain PUMP - sorry, another $60.00 down the drain, mine made grinding noise then froze caused the belt ran slower than the motor then the belt overheat then melt the pulley. Lift the front of the washer and see the machine runs. If it looks OK then you do not have to replace another pulley again, I'm talking about YOUR machine
If you put another plastic pulley back in, it WILL melt again in very near future, that how it happened this time !

Old 06-10-10, 12:55 PM
I
You might want to be careful with that metal pulley - the plastic one that melts could be a safety feature in case the load on the motor is too great and would otherwise cause the motor to overheat.

Most large motors have some kind of overheating protection in them but recently I've been seeing them without an automatic or manual reset - so you might be buying a new motor if that happens. And I don't even want to think about the worst case where the pulley IS the fail-safe. Maybe they have Al-Queda engineers on staff... (a joke! a joke!)

Having been an appliance tech in the field and factory AND an engineer I've seen things like this intentinally designed and also unintentionally injected into the manufacturing process by materials changes to save a few bucks. Most of the time, parts like this are tested to failure - so there is a chance it may be an intentional safety feature.

YMMV

I ended up using ****** and living with dirty socks for a couple of days. I ordered a spare belt and pulley ($17 for the pair) I can duct tape to the rear panel for next time.

I don't have anything apparent binding on the driven side, so maybe this was just a case of repeated overloading and/or the belt getting old and glazed (which it is) and then slipping.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-10-10 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Link removed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: