Amana 3-in-1 starter keeps burning up

Old 12-21-08, 08:36 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amana 3-in-1 starter keeps burning up

I just replaced the 3-in-1 starter capacitor in my Amana side by side. The aftermarket unit is exacxtly like the one that was in it from the factory. (I am curious if this is a problem fridge before i even bought it since its not the original factory part?)

So after installing new unit, I plug it in. The lights and fan both worked, but the power draw when the motor tried to kick in was enough to pop the breaker. I have yet to verify this plug is providing sufficient power, and this might be the entire problem.

Can anyone suggest what other items I should look into if the outlet tests good?

This Amana fridge is about 6 months old, but since i am not the original purchaser, have no easy claim to warantee work.

Thank you!

Old 12-22-08, 08:39 AM
H
The three in one devices are not stock items for any refrigerator. Usually the only time you would use them is the factory start device can't be found easy, or the compressor is very hard to start, and the 3 in 1 gives the compressor some extra power to start. If you have it wired up right, the current limit switch in the 3 in 1 should shut the power off before the house circuit breaker. double check the wiring, black is common, white is start, red is run on the ones I have used. Compressor terminals could be two different ways, but normally the very top compressor terminal is common, one on the bottom left is the start winding, one on the right is the run winding. I think your compressor is either bad or going bad, and the person that sold the refrigerator probably knew this. Once the compressor has been running, the compressor must stay off for at least 20 minutes so the sealed system can return to normal before trying to start again. Good luck
H.

Old 12-28-08, 07:23 AM
I
Originally Posted by glosol View Post
I just replaced the 3-in-1 starter capacitor in my Amana side by side. The aftermarket unit is exacxtly like the one that was in it from the factory. (I am curious if this is a problem fridge before i even bought it since its not the original factory part?)

So after installing new unit, I plug it in. The lights and fan both worked, but the power draw when the motor tried to kick in was enough to pop the breaker. I have yet to verify this plug is providing sufficient power, and this might be the entire problem.

Can anyone suggest what other items I should look into if the outlet tests good?

This Amana fridge is about 6 months old, but since i am not the original purchaser, have no easy claim to warantee work.

Thank you!
They can tell the age of the unit by the serial number.

Old 12-28-08, 08:44 AM
H
Just putting on a 3/1 unit may void the warranty, so if it is under warranty, the factory relay must be put back on so they can't find a reason to deny the repair.

H.

Old 12-29-08, 01:31 AM
S
If your compressor is the newer, small compressor with R134a in it, these compressors can't handle the higher starting current and the start winding eventually burns ouit. Also, the higher current will blow out the adaptive defrost pc board if your fridg has one.

Old 12-29-08, 08:13 AM
I
The poster stated that the 3-n-1 burns up which is a definite indicates a voltage problem. The NEC (National Electrical Code) requires that refrigerators be on a dedicated circuit wired with 12/3 wire and protected with a 20 amp circuit breaker and with surge protection preferably.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: