Whirlpool Washer Will Not Agitate or Spin but Will Fill???

Old 12-22-08, 09:10 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Washer Will Not Agitate or Spin but Will Fill???

Working on a Whirlpool LSN1000PQ2 and this problem has started over time. A few weeks ago it would fill the tub and then just sit for a few minutes and then start agitating. Yesterday it would not start agitating at all until I got fed up with it and hit the palm of my hand on the upper section where the timer is located. As soon as I hit it I could here the timer start and the unit started agitating and finished the complete wash cycle. Needless to say this is how I washed all five loads of laundry to get it done (not to happy with the procedure but some Dora and Princess gear had to be clean...groan). The unit was bought in 2005 and we have to little girls so we use it regularily. At first this made me think the timer was bad but after talking with a buddy we both think it may be the lid switch. I was thinking I could lift the lid, let the washer fill, push the lid switch in with a small screw driver and see if the unit agitated. If not then actuate the switch with the small screw driver to see if it has a bad connection. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Darren

Old 12-22-08, 09:22 AM
M
washer

I am not an expert, but I think it is your timer, that has the bad connection. these items can be expensive so do not be surprised by the amount the cost. your going to find in most cases the lid switch very seldom goes bad. But fo the sake of arguement did you try the screwdriver test? And what was the result? If this did not solve your problem then consult your manufacturer and get a new timer. this should solve your problem.

Old 12-22-08, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Try tightening the lid hinge screws. The hinge on the left side works the lid switch. We found a lot of these loose last year.

Old 12-22-08, 06:33 PM
D
Hi:

The lid switch only comes into play during the spin cycle. The machine will agitate with the lid up. It's probably the timer or might be the water level control, but it sounds like the timer [you would have to check the circuits with a voltmeter to be sure]. Appliance Parts Pros.com Discount Appliance Parts – Appliance Repair Parts has it for about $59 plus shipping

Old 12-23-08, 05:36 AM
D
I found the timer switch assembly on ebay (new and from a very reputable sellar) for $58 shipped. I checked the screws on the lid and they were tight. I discovered that it was not like my old washer which had a lid switch that a pin on the lid depressed. Took me a few minutes and the manual to figure out it was actuated by the left hand lid hinge assembly. I opened and closed the lid several times and each time when it gets down to about and inch from closing or just when it starts to open you can hear a defined click from the back left. I am assuming this means the lid switch is functional, at least mechanically. I have varied all the other switches on the panel (water level, water temp, and the cylcle signal) and those did not affect performance with regards to the delay in start. I did wash a load of laundry last night and I guess from me messing with the timer switch and all when I closed the lid I heard the lid switch click and then I heard the timer start but then quit. I did this twice more and got the same results. I banged on the top section of the washer just above the timer switch assebly and the timer started and the load went through the entire wash cycle. I have a DVM so I will pull the washer apart when the Holidays are over (or if it completely quits before then) and see if the switch is passing voltage. If that is the case then I will get a timer coming and replace that.

Thanks for all the replies and if anyone sees anything else I could check please let me know as I hate throwing money at a problem.

Darren

Old 12-23-08, 04:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have never seen the lid switch on yours go bad only the earlier ones. Next would be timer. Was hoping the screws had come loose.
On the newer Whrilpool washers the lid switch will stop both agitation and spin, The older ones would only stop the spin cycle.

Old 12-23-08, 07:05 PM
D
So I think I am just going to order the timer switch assembly and replace it. Everything else is tight and looks good (lid switch is not showing any signs being bad with the DVM) so I am at a loss other than replacement of the switch. Thanks for the replies and I will post back with the results once I get the part installed.

Darren

Old 12-25-08, 05:53 PM
D
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
Have never seen the lid switch on yours go bad only the earlier ones. Next would be timer. Was hoping the screws had come loose.
On the newer Whrilpool washers the lid switch will stop both agitation and spin, The older ones would only stop the spin cycle.

I stand corrected. I downloaded the wiring diagram for this model from WP and, sure enough, the lid switch is on the nuetral leg to the motor. So if the lid is up, the machine will not agitate or spin. Thanks pugsi.

Old 12-26-08, 07:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Whrilpool made change about 3 years ago and the change did not tell us about itr. had to find out the hard way.

Old 01-07-09, 08:42 PM
D
Question I have the same problem

Originally Posted by dbrune_93 View Post
So I think I am just going to order the timer switch assembly and replace it. Everything else is tight and looks good (lid switch is not showing any signs being bad with the DVM) so I am at a loss other than replacement of the switch. Thanks for the replies and I will post back with the results once I get the part installed.

Darren
Please let us know if this fixes the problem as I am now having the same problem with my washer. Started yesterday and is driving me nuts.

Old 01-08-09, 03:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You hijacked a old post please tell us your problem, Does it spin, agitate what is not happening, Please give model #

Old 01-08-09, 12:43 PM
D
Whirlpool

Hijacked the post? I't not clear how to make my own post, I couldn't see a New Post button besides the one near the calendar and that just showed all NEW post for the day. Sorry and also thought I was replying to the post as well.

Model # LSQ9010KQ0 Whirlpool Ultimate ll

Hmm. I have the same problem except now my washer is not agitating, spinning or draining. Just fills up with water, then stops. I move it forward some and pop button out, can hear the timer start then it stops again. I tried that hitting near the controls method to kick start the timer again and that doesn't seem to work. I don't have a voltmeter here at the house in order to check the machine. Would cold outside temperature be the cause of this problem at all?? My washer and dryer are in the garage and we have had colder than normal temps. IN the 30's this week, but last couple weeks upper teens and 20's with snow.

Last edited by Dyerdigs; 01-08-09 at 01:04 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 01-08-09, 01:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is your machine 4years old or less? About 4 years ago Whrilpool started putting the lid switch in motor circuit and if the switch is bad it will only fill. Earlier machines you may have a sock stuck in the water pump. Can You hear a hum low in Machine?
New post are before you open threads on top of list.

Old 01-08-09, 01:53 PM
D
Whirlpool

Not sure of the age of the machine as I bought it from a co worker about a year and half ago. I think it around 4 yrs old.

Old 01-08-09, 03:14 PM
D
I figured out what is wrong, not sure how to fix right off the top of my head. No manual to see how to take alot of the machine apart. It the lid switch that is broken. I took a quick pic to show what is wrong.

Old 01-08-09, 05:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Common problem here is a link to take off cabinet. Only need to tilt it forward to remove 5/16 screw in ground wire under top.
Whirpool Drive-Coupling Replacement
please post repair.

Old 03-04-09, 07:53 PM
D
Problem Fixed with the washer

I replaced the lid switch with a new one and it works like a charm. I did it shortly after my last post but forgot to post my fix on the forum , Sorry bout that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: