Kenmore Elite ice maker clicking noise

Old 12-24-08, 05:04 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Elite ice maker clicking noise

My 4 years old Kenmore Elite Refridge ice maker is making clicking noise when the motor is turning the raking arm during harvesting mode. The arm doesn't rotate but when touched it started to move a bit then stop, when it stops the motor started to click again. Should I go ahead and replace the whole ice maker module? Which ice maker model would fit properly? Thanks in advance. T

Old 12-25-08, 09:25 AM
H
If it were me, I would replace the icemaker complete, check online and Eb#y for replacement, making sure they will work in your model number.
H.

Old 12-25-08, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I really have no idea of exactly how they are set up and I'm sure the prior advice is the way to go, but..
It sounds like a worn or misaligned gear, if it has them. Wouldn't hurt to remove the old one, disassemble it (if possible?) and see if a gear has slipped on a shaft or is worn on one side of the teeth. I know I have taken more than one item (a printer and a pruning saw attachment comes to mind) and reversed the gears or shimmed them on a shaft and got much more use out of them. I think this would only work with straight cut gear teeth.

Old 12-25-08, 03:11 PM
H
That motor has a clutch assembly in it, and if the load is too much, it will slip, and make that clicking noise. The reason it went bad can be several things. one of which is the mold heater that releases the ice is bad, or one of the contacts, or many other reasons. The reason I would say to just replace it is the cavity the ice cubes are make in start to go bad, and bits of the metal from there will start getting into the cubes. But taking things apart is fun also, so report back when you finish with it, and let us know how it worked.

H.

Old 12-25-08, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Thats what I'm talking about...just tear it apart and see what's in there!

Old 12-26-08, 08:17 AM
Icemaker

I would have to agree with himeros. Replacing your Icemaker is more cost effective then fixing it. If you give your refrigerator model number I can tell you what Icemakers work for it.

Old 12-26-08, 01:11 PM
P
I just took it all apart and did see the white plastic gear was somewhat worn. Reset the thing, put all back together and watched it closely - the rake arm rotate and stop when hitting the ice. It looks almost as the heater (to unseat the ice prior to sweeping) is not working properly so the rake arm stop right on the ice, make a few clicking noise, overheat and shut itself down.
Himeros suspicion is right-on, I'm replacing the whole unit as there are too many things to trouble-shoot and tinker with. Checked Sears website and found model number 2198957 for $150. Checked eBay and found identical one for $50 - bought it.
Thanks a ton for sharing your thoughts and advise. Happy New Year to ya"ll.

Old 12-26-08, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Glad you are getting it fixed. As I said, coulda been simple, but the others know more than I.

Be safe on New Years, don't let the amatures get you in trouble.

Old 12-28-08, 07:12 AM
I
Hate being a party pooper, but the mold heater is replaceable.

Old 12-29-08, 10:02 AM
H
Of course you can replace any part in that icemaker, but why? When you can buy a new one for $50.00, why waste your money on an old icemaker, that may have other problems.

H.

Old 12-29-08, 10:10 AM
I
True $50 for a new one is not a bad price, however 4 years old is not exactly an antique.

Old 12-29-08, 10:48 AM
I
The BROWN goes to the water inlet-valve. BLACK is power the WHITE is neutral the GREEN is groundl

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: