Whirlpool top load washer won't spin

Old 01-09-09, 01:33 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool top load washer won't spin

I have a Whirlpool top load washer that won't always spin. It will go through all of the other cycles, will agitate, drain, fill. At times it will spin and at other times it will not. Sometimes if I fool around with moving the basket I can get it to spin. From what I can see I should probably check the belt first.

I have never tried to repair a washer before and can't really afford to buy a new one right now, so I would truly appreciate any advice I can get.

Old 01-09-09, 02:46 PM
model #?

when it doesnt spin does the motor run?

yes: could be oil on clutch

no: could be lid switch

Old 01-09-09, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
It is most likely the lid switch is bad. Look for a hole in top where lid closes. Put your hand under switch and hold up the switch. Push down on the lever through hold with pen or small screwdriver. Make sure timer is set to spin and on. Switch splits and than will not spin/ If that works you will need to replace switch. Let us know and will tell how to change switch.

Old 01-09-09, 03:12 PM
B
Yes, the motor runs. It is hard to tell when the lid is down whether it is spinning or not just by the sound.

What do you do about oil on clutch?

Old 01-09-09, 04:55 PM
lean washer back against wall and see if there is a line of oil splattered on the inside of cabinet about a foot off floor.

if so youll have to replace the gearcase and the clutch. might was well get a coupler too while your in there.

Old 01-10-09, 04:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Make ure it's agitating and not just making noises like it is. Open lid to see if agitating. If not agitating it's most likely the drive coupler. Keep us posted.

Old 01-10-09, 06:23 AM
B
It is agitating. I found the switch last night and kept it turned on to watch what is happening while the lid is up. I can actually give the basket sort of a jump start to spin; spin it manually and then (sometimes after a few tries) it will spin full speed. I'll have to try to get in there to see if I can see the oil. I am going to have to clear space in the laundry room to tip the machine. I saw somebody post that they had oil on their laundry. I always thought it was our well water or sunscreen discoloring our white clothes, but maybe it is oil. Where do you usually buy parts?

Old 01-10-09, 03:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any local appliance parts store will have them or go to Sears.com, You will need model # no mater where you go. You have all the symptoms of a gearcase leaking oil.

Old 01-20-09, 12:05 PM
I
won't spin

birdwoman. i had the exact same problem as my washer we need the model# to help more. click on my user name and see all the threads written to me this may help. mine was the clutch tube assembly it was worn out 7 year old machine. Lift the lid and in the very back underneath the lid is where i found my model#

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: