Kenmore model 790 Stove burner almost inop

Old 01-26-09, 11:06 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore model 790 Stove burner almost inop

I have a Kenmore model 790 Stove that one of the large burners is almost inoperative. It only works on high. I bought this in 2004. I tried to call Sears for warranty work, but they refuse to accept their own warranty. SO now I think I have to at least figure out the issue myself. When I turn the dial to any other setting but High the burner does not work. I think the issues is either in the switch or the element. How would I go about determining which one? I am thinking of pulling both the good and "bad" burner and switching them to see what happens. Is there an easier way?

Old 01-26-09, 08:54 PM
D
Yes. switch burners first. However, I think you will find the awitch is probably bad. Can you kindly post the complete model number?

Old 01-27-09, 05:24 AM
B
the model number is 790.92321302

Old 01-27-09, 06:59 PM
D
I looked at a parts breakdown at Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com

I see why you're reluctant to take it apart [radiant burners, smooth top]. It might be easier if you move the switches around, just make a wiring sketch first. Take notice of the switch part number at sears website - 5303935086. That is a frigidaire part #; it might be cheaper to buy it that way than at Sears. I hope it's not the burner- $$$. Let us know how you make out. Thanks.

Old 02-01-09, 08:55 AM
B
well I determined my problem. I did not want to swap the burners, so I swapped the switches. I have a bad switch. Good thing I could figure it out. I have found some blogs of people who had Sears come out and were charged over $200 to have the switch replaced. now I just need to find a switch.

Old 02-01-09, 09:53 AM
B
I have a new question. I found a switch to repalce the old one (1/2 the price of Sears) but I was thinking of putting teh bad switch on a small burner. I was looking at the switches and the ones for the large burners are 2500watts but the switches on the samller burner is 1500Watts. So I assume that I cannot put the switch from the small burner on the large one. BUT in the parts manual, both switches have the same replacment part number. So, does that mean that they replace it with a higher wattage swtich? if so, what is the point of the lower wattage switch?

Old 02-01-09, 07:08 PM
D
The different switch ratings has to with the sensitivity of the heater in the switch. However, reusing it on a smaller burner won't work, and it's bad anyway. It will do the same thing on a different burner. It needs need round filing.

Last edited by daddyjohn; 02-01-09 at 07:23 PM. Reason: ass txt
Old 05-02-09, 08:39 PM
E
Kenmore Electric Range not heating and beeping when I try to turn it on

Hello,

I was cooking on my stove top today. I noticed that my pot was not bubbling as it should have been to being on a high setting. When I tried to turn it off and then back on, it beeped at me. The clocked was blinking 12:00. The oven light is not on, the clock only comes on when I try to turn the stove on. The element light is red but I hear a beeping sound for two seconds and it stops. Is it an ignition problem or something else?
Range does not work at all.

thanks

Old 05-03-09, 12:25 AM
D
Can you kindly post the model # ? Do you have 240 volts going to the range? Check the receptacle behind the range.

Old 03-07-12, 04:58 PM
L
model # 790 element on top stove not working can you help me?

I replaced both of them... but nothing works, will someone help me is it time for a new oven? i should not have to buy another one, i like this one the best..
THE HEATING ELEMENT is not working, we purchased the both pieces and the switch for 45.00 by mail, still its not working. I purchased this Kenmore stove Model 790 paid in 2004 237.00 for this
its white and black with a warmer drawer. its a great oven I love it, but I need my burner where it heats and also has a simmer section to it.

what could be wrong Im not under warranty for this, please help? I have 200 guests coming to my house for my daughters wedding on April 2nd... so please help me get this working thanks Loretta Marie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: