trying to clean screen on whirlpool Refrigerator

Old 02-05-09, 01:19 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
trying to clean screen on whirlpool Refrigerator

I have a lot of minerals in my water well.I don't know where the screen is for the ice maker ,so I can clean it.I'm not getting much water and it's causing ice cycles,and I get some cubes of ice. Thanks

Old 02-05-09, 02:25 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is a screen on the water valve on the back of your fridge you should also look into adding a water filter or changing your current filter here is a link the you might find help full NOADS

Last edited by Shadeladie; 02-09-09 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Advertising not allowed. Link removed.
Old 02-05-09, 04:30 PM
S
Clean Icemaker filter

The model is a Whirlpool ED2CHQXKQ05. Can you tell me exactly where on the inlet valve the screen would be and how to get to it?

Old 02-05-09, 07:16 PM
D
If the inlet sreen is plugged up, replace the water valve because some of the junk gets into the vavlve and interferes with it's operation. However, first look for and replace the water filter, your model should have one. Go to www.searsparts.com to get a parts breakdown.

Old 02-05-09, 08:57 PM
S
Thanks for reply. Can you tell me exactly where screen and filter are on my whirlpool frig?

Old 02-06-09, 03:13 PM
S
cleaning screen on whirlpool frig

Something just dawned on me,I'm getting plenty of water through my water dispenser.Does this mean the filtering system is clean.Thanks for your information!

Old 02-06-09, 06:17 PM
D
Yes the filter is probably ok and duh on me for not asking about dispenser flow. Another thing to check is the inlet to the icemaker in the freezer to see if it's frozen over. If that tube is obstructed with ice, it usually means the icemaker water valve has a slow drip [in other words- a small amout of water leaking through when it is off which would necessitate replacing the vlave $25 on Ebay with free shipping] Let us know what you find. Thanks.

Old 02-06-09, 06:35 PM
S
Ok,I'll let yaw know how it turns out. Thanks for all of your information and time! Stanley

Old 02-06-09, 07:46 PM
D
ok thanks. the feed back helps others

Old 02-09-09, 08:57 AM
S
cleaning water screen

Well I said I would write back on the outcome.I heated the water inlet to the ice maker twice with a hair dryer on high for about 5 minutes on each session .problem solved. Thank yaw for all of your help. NEED SOME ICE?

Old 02-09-09, 05:45 PM
D
Sounds good. It may happen again. It's possible the water valve is seeping a little water thru. part # 431086 or 2188452. Thanks.

Old 03-14-09, 02:38 PM
B
Water leaking into Refer from Frzr-Whirlpool Refer

I read the previous listings and I think I have same/similar problem. I have a layer of ice under the (I guess) fan compartment in the freezer. I am guessing the ice is blocking the dehumidifier drain and causing water to drip into the refrigerator compartment.

Is the cause most likely a leak in the ice maker valve ? Or is there a possibility of a drain plugged up, so its icing over, causing the over flow into the refer compartment ? I guess I will take a look tomorrow but I would like anyone else's experience.

My problem is somewhat intermittent.

Thanks

Old 03-14-09, 03:23 PM
S
My problem was on going making ice cycles in the ice drawer.I used a hair dryer,you might try something like that!

Old 03-15-09, 06:33 AM
B
Leaky Whirlpool Refer/Freezer

I havent had a problem in several days now so, lacking anything else to try, I turned on the ice maker ( havent made ice in a month or two) to see if anything different will happen.

We'll see what comes next

Old 03-23-09, 04:47 PM
B
Water logged Whirlpool Refer

My problem continued so I emptied out the freezer and found the drain in the back of the freezer (after removing the 'fan guard' etc) was frozen solid with ice. I thawed the mess out with a hair drier and poked the drain tube with a wire to expedite the movement of the ice jam. After a bit I got it all freed up and seems OK for now. I still am not sure what caused the original ice blockage so I am not sure if the root cause of the problem is fixed or not.

Could leaving the door ajar over night cause that much moisture and icing up of the drain ? It makes sense that the water was leaking into the refigerator compartment but it seems like a lot of water if the ice maker is not leaking.

Is that the next place to look if the ice-up comes back ?

Old 03-23-09, 05:02 PM
S
Possible problem solution

I spoke with a service tech who works on commercial ice makers. He seemed to think my "icicle" problem was caused by the tray over filling and leaking out into the bin. He said there should be a screw on the ice maker that controls the cam. He said it should have a - and + marked on it and if you turn it 1-2 turns to the negative it will let less water into the tray. He said the screw is under the front cover but I haven't figured out how to get that cover off yet. He said if your valve is bad you will have quite a bit of water in your bin not just a slow trickle that creates icicles.

Old 03-30-09, 04:58 PM
B
Whirlpool Refer overflow

Since I got rid of the ice damn to the drain, no problems. I still do not know what caused the original freeze up of the drain so I dont know that I fixed anything other than freeing / thawing out the drain.

I am hoping it was simply a matter of not having the freezer door shut tight for a while. Unlikley but I have no other idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: