Roper electric dryer too long drying time

Old 02-08-09, 04:02 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roper electric dryer too long drying time

We have a roper electric dryer which was drying clothes fine but now takes over an hour for a small load. Checked continuity with an ohm meter and received no resistance from end to end of heating element. Any ideas would be helpful

Old 02-08-09, 06:11 PM
D
Can you kindly post the model #? Some of the elements have a replaceable limit thermostat built into the heater. Does your dryer's heating element have that?

Old 02-08-09, 07:02 PM
D
Daddyjohn,

Thanks for the interest of reply. I have combed this machine for a model number and can find none. There looks like there was something at one point on the bottom of the door sill...but no longer.

In description, the heating element is long verticle enclosed coil running up the left rear of the machine as viewed from the front of machine. I have tested resistance from top to bottom on each of the wires and found no resistance. I wish I could give you more information than I have. Are there other things I should be looking to test. Where would the replaceable limit thermostat be located? in the enclosure of the heating element? I am unfortunately not with the machine at the moment but will be tomorrow.
Thanks again for your reply

Old 02-09-09, 03:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Try drying a load of clothes with vent tube off the back of dryer. Probably will dry in normal time. Will need vent cleaned or repaired to outside. If plastic tube replace it.

Old 02-09-09, 04:32 AM
is it heating? if so do what pugsl said

Old 02-09-09, 07:04 AM
D
We have removed the duct long ago, there is only three feet to the exit louvre out of the house and one 45 angle bend. There is warm heat coming out of the back of the dryer and the vent, hose is clear. Besides it has been working fine until recently. vent tube is aluminum, clear and in good shape. We are getting warm air exiting the house but still dry time for a small load is over an hour.

Old 02-09-09, 10:49 AM
D
REX3615ew2

finally found model #...REX3615ew2
Dryer does heat but.... weak...
found through whirlpool parts list a listing for two thermostats 150 degree and 250 degree part#3399693 Thermostat, High Limit 250 F
and low limit part#660039 Thermostat,150 F
Would one of these be the culprit? If so is it possible to test?

Old 02-09-09, 10:54 AM
warm but not hot air is most likely the heater element shorted to ground.

can test visually or even better use a ohm meter from the heater box to each of the element terminals. if good should be infinite resistance

Old 02-09-09, 03:13 PM
D
Originally Posted by David_Thompson View Post
warm but not hot air is most likely the heater element shorted to ground.

can test visually or even better use a ohm meter from the heater box to each of the element terminals. if good should be infinite resistance

where exactly am I testing just the 250 F thermostat at bottom of heating element or top 150 F thermostat at top of heating element or top to bottom ? I have checked resistance from top to bottom and with ohm meter tests good.

Old 02-09-09, 03:39 PM
touch one lead to a element terminal and the other lead to the case of the element. then repeat with the other terminal and the case. if you get any reading at all other than infinity the element is grounded.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: