GE-Profile Refrigerator-Water Dispenser

Old 02-12-09, 09:07 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE-Profile Refrigerator-Water Dispenser

Hello,

I have the GE Profile refrigerator with ice/water dispenser. I removed the ice dispenser because the ice bucket took up way too much space. The water dispenser has always worked wonderfully. It stopped dispensing water about two months ago. I replaced the cartridge and it still doesn't work.

Does anybody know how to remedy this without having to call in a costly handy man. Can this be a simple fix?

thank you in advance

Old 02-12-09, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
2 things come to mind from prior posts. No appliance expert here...
The relay water valve or the actual switch on the dispenser.

Do you hear the relay clicking on the water valve when you activate the dispenser? Its pretty easy to access on the back...you can normally follow the water line right to it. Since it had an icemaker..it probably has 2 valves. They may be able to be swapped.

Some of the Experts will be around I'm sure

Old 02-12-09, 11:16 AM
I
Hi, GunGuy,

I'm not sure if I hear the clicking. I'll have to go home tonight and check it. I'm pretty sure the clicker is not clicking.

Old 02-12-09, 03:10 PM
M
Make sure the water line is not frozen. The GE side-by-side I have is a 2004 model that has a nasty history of water-line freezing. GE never acknowledged this issue but did come up with a heater you can purchase & install. The freezing occurs behind the dispensing unit. I can push a section of weed-trimming line up the dispensing nozzle and locate the plug after 3-4 inches. I put a small floor heater on low in front of the dispenser for about 20-30 minutes and viola - water.

Old 02-12-09, 06:05 PM
I
m159267, you know, that is the first thing I thought of. BECAUSE, a few years ago the ice maker froze up horribly. GE admitted that it was a problem with their freezer and they replaced the entire unit for nothing...as it had been recalled. I think this weekend, I will pull the fridge out and see if I can see the line, maybe take a blow dryer to it and see what happens. Do you think a blow dryer to it will help? I would hate to have to buy a heater for it...I also thought of shoving something up through it. Hmmm, interesting. Thank you for a possible solution to this problem. Darn GE, can't they get their products together?

Old 02-12-09, 07:38 PM
M
Try running weed trimmer line up the nozzle and see if there is a blockage. As I said the blockage was only 3-4 inches from the nozzle outlet in my case. I set a small (Vornado) heater on a chair about 8" in front of the dispenser and set the heater on low (don't want to melt the plastic). After 20-25 minutes the plug melted. The problem with many of the 2004 models was insulation that over time became wet due to condensation inside the door. The heater, which can be installed by the home owner, runs $30-$40. Keep in mind that the heater I'm referring to was built specifically for my model. Your model is different and your problem could be completely different than mine. Try Googling your model number looking for water dispenser problems.

Old 02-15-09, 11:30 AM
T
Thumbs up

Thanks so much for this tip!! Saved me some $$. I had tried just about everything to fix my water dispenser including all the GE troubleshooting info. I was about to make an appt. for service when I found this forum. Found a ice plug 3" in and got out the wife's hair dryer. 5 minutes later and presto! WATER flow.

Again, thanks. Now I just need to fix our pesky GE Oven which burns stuff every 3 to 5 times.

Old 02-15-09, 02:44 PM
M
tigers27 - Glad you found the problem. Keep in mind that it will probably freeze again. Ultimately (in my case anyway) I will probably have to purchase & install the heater because there is no way to dry the insulation. For the time being I am trying something else and it seems to be working. On the inside of the freezer door behind the dispenser I taped 2 - 5.5" wide foam sill gaskets (using double-stick carpet tape). I covered the entire flat area and part of the tapered ice dispenser area. The idea is to keep the temp inside the door a few degrees warmer. I warmed up the backside of the door with a hair dryer & made sure it was dry and applied the tape and sill gaskets. They have held fine for several weeks and no water dispenser freezing has occurred (yet- ).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: