GE Profile freezer too warm....

Old 02-20-09, 07:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Profile freezer too warm....

I have a 2 year old GE Profile fridge model # PFS22MISBWW. The icemaker went out after the year warranty ran out and shortly after that the freezer started to get warm. Maybe 5 days out of a month it gets to 0 degrees but the rest of the time it stays between 18-25 degrees. The door on the bottom freezer won't shut all of the way on the left side when it is too warm but will close totally when it gets below 5 degrees. If you try to hold it closed it tries to push itself back open. I am wondering if the icemaker and freezer problems are related( one caused the other). I am going to unplug it in the next few days to totally defrost it and would like to know some things to check while I am in there. Thank you in advance for any suggestions and or help you can provide.

I just pulled it out and noticed the fan at the bottom right side on the back (condenser ??) is spinning slowly.... I can see the blades as they turn. The coils are clean but that fan is spinning to slow im sure. I have read that these units are prone to main board failure and problems and I'm wondering if this could be the reason for all my problems. Once again thanks in advance for all of your time.

Last edited by kentubus; 02-20-09 at 09:19 AM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-09, 10:38 AM
If the fan that cools the compressor and condenser coils is not running right, you will not have proper cooling in the freezer. The ice maker will not work if the freezer is not cold. You might check the voltage at the motor to see if it is a voltage or fan motor problem.

H.

Old 02-20-09, 12:44 PM
I can't get at the fan to check voltage ,the coils are in the way, but upon closer examination it is spinning at different speeds but all of them are to slow.It is not making any noise and spins freely when spun by hand so I am thinking it is a voltage problem. Would that lead back to the notorious "main board" ?

Old 02-20-09, 03:42 PM
Just got off the phone with GE and they are sending out a service guy to replace the main board , for free!! Even though it is a year out of warranty, I guess they have a lot of trouble with them. Will post back to say if that fixes it or not. Thanx again.....

Old 02-21-09, 02:29 AM
Make sure they replace the evaporator motor also. A bad evaporator motor will blow out the pc board.

Old 02-28-09, 06:28 AM
I just had the warm refrig problem. Five yr. old GE Profile worked fine untill this week. Would only cool down to about 55 degrees in both the frig and freezer. I called in service. It cost me 365 dollars for a new main board. I looked on-line last night and found it for $79.00. The relay goes bad on these boards. You can see that it is bad when you look at the back of the circuit board. Part #WR55X10552

Old 02-28-09, 06:31 PM
Some have replaced that relay, it is a common type, normal cost is about $11.00

H.

Old 03-31-09, 07:41 AM
Update........G.E. sent out a service guy to replace the main board which he said was not bad but that he would replace it anyway. He said the real problem was the condenser fan and he would replace that for free as well, but I would have to pay for the part $187.64. The new fan turned my freezer into another refridge (temp rose to 37 and stayed there ) so I called this guy the next morning that the new fan made the situation worse and could I have my old fan to verify that it was bad. Oops, I cleaned my van after I left your house and threw it away. I call G.E. and they send a new company with a new service guy who immediatly recognizes that my freezer door was installed wrong by Lowes 2 years ago and that is why my freezer door wouldn't close properly........Charged it up with freon and said he would be back when the parts??? came in.... Also said I would have ice now and I don't , but at least I have a freezer that works and closes properly....for now anyways ..Will post back when I find out what the actual parts he ordered to fix it and if they actually work.....

Old 04-04-09, 07:01 AM
So G.E. finally gave me a new fridge since the repair man finally said mine was toast. They also after much persuasion cut me a 75$ check for food loss and a 100$ check to get a small fridge to get me buy till mine gets here. The new is just a '09 version of the '07 one that is now 57 degrees in the fridge and 47 in the freezer. They say these fridge's don't have problems normally but I sure have found a different opinion online. Still not totally sure what the problem was but the more they done to it the worse it got.

Old 04-24-09, 08:46 PM
Does anyone here know if the Profile has accessible coils to clean like the old frigs used to. The manual doesn't mention cleaning under the frig & I've never looked under it to see whats there?
Steve

Old 06-30-11, 04:59 AM
I would also be interested in knowing whether there are coils to clean somewhere as it's not mentioned in the manual. I am also having problems. First the fridge and freezer were too warm. It finally let me reset the fridge temp but the freezer is still defaulting to a too-warm temp. Thanks.