Need help with old Speed Queen wringer washer

Old 02-24-09, 05:07 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with old Speed Queen wringer washer

I have a Speed Queen wringer washer, probably from the 1950's, and I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the power belt. There's one belt that operates the water pump and the agitator with the power coming from the electric motor. It's too loose, with about 1.5-2" play, and the water pump is rattling a bit, probably because it's not being held tight enough by the belt.

Anyone familiar with these, it's my first and I don't have a repair manual for it.

jc

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-09, 06:24 PM
D
I'm sure Uncle harry knows.

Uncle Harry's Appliance Repair Library

Old 02-25-09, 03:00 AM
J
I'm sure he does...but Uncle Harry isn't sharing on any of it for free.

Old 02-27-09, 09:46 PM
D
The website has a Q & A section.

Old 02-28-09, 12:27 AM
J
I emailed Uncle Harry but he replied that there was no information available on my old Speed Queen wringer washer. He's partially wrong, because there is someone selling repair manuals, but they're $18 and I've been trying to get some free help.

I did figure out how to adjust the belt, but the rattling noise remains and it would be nice to find a diagram showing all the parts above the motor. It's hard to see up there, even with the washer on it's side. And it's an awkward spot to reach up to. It turns out to be easy to take the bottom off the water pump, so I did that and I know that there's nothing inside causing the noise, and no unusual play in the water pump itself.

I'll keep looking, there must be a group of wringer washer owners somewhere on the internet.

Thanks for your help.

jc

Old 10-29-10, 09:40 PM
A
Question speed queen problem

I do not have an answer to your question but I was wondering if you might have an answer to mine. I have a Speed Queen Washer and it works great! I use it often, currently it is clogged and I can not get the agitator off. I can remove the red cap screw off of the top of the agitator. I can turn the agitator both ways but the agitator will not lift up and off I can not remeber what to do to get it off to clear the drain. Could you help me please? Model 90P Serial Number 4380562

Old 10-30-10, 04:48 AM
J
The agitator lifts off straight up...I remove mine at least once a week and it comes off very easily. If it sticks, I just bang it lightly with something like a 2x4. That's what I'd try if I were you, you want to set up a little vibration to loosen whatever dirt or debris is making it stick. Tap it, the vertical part, as you turn it. Also try to lift and rock it from the bottom horizontal part. If it won't budge, you have to bang it harder...figure out how much you can hit it without breaking anything. And always rotating it so you're loosening it all around. I wouldn't use a hammer directly because I think the agitator would break easily with a concentrated force, but a piece of wood would spread out the blow. Also, hitting the wood with a hammer would probably be safer, it's the direct blow with a hammer that could break it easily.

I actually remove it every time I drain the washer, and clean the screen that covers the exit hole. I also take a sponge and remove any dirt or sand that is at the bottom of the tub, I don't want that stuff to go through the water pump. I'd guess you might have a lot of lint clogging the screen.

Old 12-02-10, 01:52 PM
A
I have the same machine and have the same problem. The agitator isn't always stuck, but when it is, I just pry it off with a flat head screwdriver. Protecting the tub with a cloth, pry upward and in one or two attempts it will pop off. I found that on the inside of the agitator some of the plastic had jagged edges (from some previous owner) and catches lint, causing it to get jammed. I have filed some of the edges and it most times comes off easier now. Hope that helps.

Old 12-02-10, 09:08 PM
J
Answering my original question...the correct way to access the innards of the wringer washer is to remove the tub from the top. The wrong way is to put the washer on it's side, this allows transmission oil to leak out the top transmission seal...and that explains the oil/grease I have on the floor below my Speed Queen.
It's not very difficult to do this, there are six bolts to remove, and I had to pound on it a bit because it was stuck...probably hadn't been removed for 50 years.

When the tub is out you can see all the parts, the belt, the water pump, the motor, and it's obvious how everything works. This is a simple device. One of the problems I had was with the water pump adjustment (too loose at the belt). The water pump attaches to a metal bracket and this metal bracket slides over another metal piece...and is pulled into it's on position by a return spring. When you twist the water pump On/Off lever (on the outside of the washer body) what you're doing is pulling the water pump pulley away from the belt. In my case, there was dirt and corrosion in between the metal bracket and the metal piece that it slides over, and the spring wasn't returning the water pump/pulley all the way into the belt. I was going to put in a stronger spring, but after cleaning up the dirt and corrosion and putting some silicone spray on the metal piece, the problem corrected itself and the 60 year old spring was still strong enough to pull the water pump/pulley into it's correct position.

I've also found a source for parts, a very rare thing indeed. Lehman's sells brand new Speed Queen copies made in Saudi Arabia, and they stock parts for them. Once a year, or so, they order a container load of washers and parts so if they don't have it (they don't stock water pumps, for example) they can order it for you when the container order goes in. There is a man in charge of this at Lehman's, I forget his name, but he was very helpful and gave me advice on how to remove the tub, and other repair information.

I originally called Lehman's because I had to replace the lower brackets/holders for the wringers...mine were missing and also broken in half. They had them, they were inexpensive and I received them in a week or two. Here's the web site...

Home Goods*|*Laundry*|*Washing*|*115V Home Queen Wringer Washer with Stainless Tub - Lehmans.com