Maytag washer won't drain before spin cycle

Old 02-24-09, 04:46 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag washer won't drain before spin cycle

I have a 8 year old Maytag washer and lately it occasionally 'sticks' on the part where it's filling up with water during the rinse cycle. It never makes it to the point where it's rinsing actually, just keeps filling up with water. The washer must have an overflow (thank God) otherwise I'd have a house full of water!

I have to switch the dial to spin to start it spinning.

It's the "Quiet Plus" line (14 cycles), but I can get an exact model number if that helps.

Is this something I definitely need to get a service man out here to fix or is this something I might do myself?

Old 02-24-09, 05:01 PM
you need to figure out if the water valve is sticking open or if there is a problem with the water level switch.

with the machine filling with water unplug the power cord and make sure the water stops immediately.

make sure the water level switch hose is connected to the switch on one end and the tub on the other

Old 02-24-09, 05:16 PM
M
Originally Posted by David_Thompson View Post
you need to figure out if the water valve is sticking open or if there is a problem with the water level switch.

with the machine filling with water unplug the power cord and make sure the water stops immediately.

make sure the water level switch hose is connected to the switch on one end and the tub on the other
I'm unclear as to what you're asking me to do. If I unplug the power cord, should I expect the water to stop filling immediately or if it doesn't, could that mean trouble with the water level switch?

I assume that I will need to get into the back of the machine, so I best have it pulled away from the wall when I check this out?

Sorry to be dense... I can assemble a computer from pieces but washing machines are a horse of different color!

Old 02-24-09, 05:28 PM
D
I fwater keeps going into the machine with the cordset unplugged, this tells you that the inlet water valve is leaking thru when it should be closed.

Old 02-28-09, 09:07 AM
M
Originally Posted by daddyjohn View Post
I fwater keeps going into the machine with the cordset unplugged, this tells you that the inlet water valve is leaking thru when it should be closed.
OK, my model is LAT9706AAM but none of my manuals have any parts list or how to get to the parts in order to replace them. I don't mind attempting it myself, unless it involves taking apart too much of the machine but where would I go to find an online resource or diagram to see if I can try this myself?

Old 02-28-09, 09:21 AM
M

I unplugged it when it was filling and it stopped filling immediately.

Old 02-28-09, 12:32 PM
It never makes it to the point where it's rinsing actually, just keeps filling up with water. The washer must have an overflow (thank God) otherwise I'd have a house full of water!
so it keeps filling but never spills on the floor? if so sounds like the end of your drain hose is too low to the floor letting the water siphon out. pull it up higher out of the drain

Old 02-28-09, 01:30 PM
M
so it keeps filling but never spills on the floor? if so sounds like the end of your drain hose is too low to the floor letting the water siphon out. pull it up higher out of the drain
I will look for the drain hose, but I assume you are talking about the end that is in my machine, not the end that goes to the wall (drain)... and, no, it never spills on the floor.

Old 02-28-09, 01:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
He's talking about the part that goes onto the wall, If to far down drain it will start a siphon and washer will never fill up.

Old 02-28-09, 03:06 PM
M
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
He's talking about the part that goes onto the wall, If to far down drain it will start a siphon and washer will never fill up.
ahhh, thanks for clearing that up, no the hose is the same it's been for years, never had a reason to move it or alter it's length, so I feel certain that isn't it.

Old 02-28-09, 03:07 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It only does it in rinse. That is what is odd.

Poster never said how deep the water in rinse gets.

Maybe the real problem is it is on cold water rinse and the cold water is restricted (at the screen, likely), so it SEEMS like it keeps filling because it just takes an eternity to fill and trip the pressure switch - only in rinse, as stated.

That is why I would like to know if the water actually gets to a certain depth, in the rinse cycle, and then never climbs after that - or not.

Another clue came to my mind that might clear this up: If you stop the machine from draining, then advance the timer a tad to rinse-fill only -THEN will it fill, since IF syphon action in drain is pulling the water out and down the standpipe, then by stopping the water going down the drain, should break the syphon, and allow the machine to fill with rinse water, just as it can in the wash cycle -IF- syphoning is the cause, and not my other theory.

Last edited by ecman51; 02-28-09 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added much more
Old 02-28-09, 04:11 PM
M
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
It only does it in rinse. That is what is odd.

Poster never said how deep the water in rinse gets.

Maybe the real problem is it is on cold water rinse and the cold water is restricted (at the screen, likely), so it SEEMS like it keeps filling because it just takes an eternity to fill and trip the pressure switch - only in rinse, as stated.

That is why I would like to know if the water actually gets to a certain depth, in the rinse cycle, and then never climbs after that - or not.

Another clue came to my mind that might clear this up: If you stop the machine from draining, then advance the timer a tad to rinse-fill only -THEN will it fill, since IF syphon action in drain is pulling the water out and down the standpipe, then by stopping the water going down the drain, should break the syphon, and allow the machine to fill with rinse water, just as it can in the wash cycle -IF- syphoning is the cause, and not my other theory.
No, it's definitely taking an indefinite amount of time. I recall recently it was still filling after an hour or so before I advanced the cycle to start the spin.
To answer your second thought, the machine always does the initial wash cycle and properly drains before it starts filling again for the rinse. This is when it always continues to fill indefinitly. So it's always the fill part for the rinse that it never stops filling, never for the initial wash part. Does that make any sense or difference?

Old 02-28-09, 10:42 PM
the water is going down the drain if it is not going on the floor. must be siphoning. make sure the end of the drain hose only goes about 1 foot down the drain or less

Old 03-01-09, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
I think ecman has it right if it takes to long to fill try to fill machine with only cold water, Rinses are with cold water. Maytags have a screen in both ends of hose. 1 in wall side in hose and 1 in fill valve of machine. If water is slow to enter machine clean screens ( usually only cold will need to be cleaned). When hose is off machine end put hose in washer tub and see if there is water coming from wall. If screens clean and water flows you will need a fill valve.

m

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: