Kenmore Washer 110.28922791 Stopped Working

Old 03-01-09, 12:22 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Washer 110.28922791 Stopped Working

This was purchased in Feb 99. It has been making "sounds" lately, on spin I think. Today it stopped in a spin/drain/rinse part of the cycle. No standing water, but clothes very wet at the bottom of the drum. Moved dial to a rinse cycle and it started back up. Next time I checked, it was stopped and half full of water. No matter what we turned the dial to, it did not start, make noise or do anthing. I read on a forum about a case where the motor overheated and shut down, if you waited a day, you might get a wash done before it overheated again. It sounded similar to this case.

I let is sit for awhile and moved the dial to the last spin of the ultra clean cycle. It started to spin, then slowed and stopped, then started to spin for 1-2 seconds more, then stopped and just hummed. I watched this while holding down the lid closed sensor.

Basically, at this point, I would just like to get the water out of it and get a new washer, this one being 10 years old and me being not handy. What do you think the problem is? What is your opinion on repairing or replacing? Do you think we can get a load done per day before overheating? What can we do to get the water out? And I guess since I have asked everything else, what would you recommend for a new washer, more to the $500 end then the $1,000 end of the price spectrum.

Thanks much.

Old 03-01-09, 04:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Couple of things come to mind, Something got under the basket and stopping it from spinning. Something stuck in water pump and binding it,(that usually causes it not to spin at all.) Motor May be the problem but I have only found a couple of them bad in many years of repair. Keep us posted. I would repair it, It is the same machine they sell today just a different skin on it.

Last edited by pugsl; 03-01-09 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-01-09, 05:09 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply . We waited for a few hours and turned it back to rinse and got it to go thru the cycle and it drained. Then we tried one load and it worked thru that load. It is late now and we won't do more laundry tonight, but I have to say it sounds like maybe the motor is overheating and tripping a sensor and shutting itself down, like I read in another post. So I guess it could be the sensor or the motor. It also made an odd noise when it started the rinse cycle, but we have been hearing that for awhile. I would be reluctant to get it repaired if I had no idea what the guy would charge, which it would be hard for them to say without knowing what the problem was. Anyway....

Old 03-02-09, 03:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Motor is very easy to replace. It would not be very cost effective to have somebody come in to do it. It is about a 10 minute job to replace motor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: