Whirlpool duet washer

Old 03-01-09, 07:38 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool duet washer

well we have a whirlpool duet waser and drier. Stacked.... well the washer has been getting louder and louder...
tonight i decided to take it apart as it is seriously loud...

so took the back off and looked.... boy that tub bounces around really bad and rattles.. i dont see the tub hitting anything..

so would this be what else i have found searching here where the tub is bad? could the shocks be bad allowing the tub to bounce around?

just looking at where to start..... i was hoping to open up the back and see something broke....plasic somewhere or something.....

lemme know what you think......
thanks
Jeff

Old 03-02-09, 03:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Is the noise in the spin cycle (roaring) That get louder faster it spins. ? If it is the rear bearing is bad. Bouncing tub is nornal. Tub is on 2 springs and 4 shocks to stabilize it.

Old 03-30-09, 08:13 AM
T
yup bearing was bad.. took it apart... and WOW... bearing was all mangled up... also the seal was bad so it was starting to leak too..

call to Whirlpool...
had the washer for 6 years... so outer drum is good for 10 years on the warranty...

$250 part sent to our house... I took it all apart and went to install it to realize the bouncing around and all killed our front piece... wife called back and they are sending the front outer tub out ($150 part) for free...

so theoretically
$400 in parts plus shipping (all free since under warranty)
$250-$300 quoted install price

makes it more worth it to buy a new one..

however free parts under warranty and myself installing it makes it worth it... had 1 bad shock ($30) and bought it and installed that ....

since i am doing the work the warranty will be void now..but I told the wife.... if we pay someone to install the drum and a circuit board goes next... we are still out...

so all in all... hopefully the washer will be back together this week and running for $30... next break (this is the only one in 6 years) and gonna buy a new one..

side note... they (whirlpool) obviously knew there was a problem with that bearing... as the new unit has a sealed bearing (nicer design in my opinion)...

Old 03-30-09, 12:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Be sure to use the grease they send you. Hate to have you have to tear it down a second time to stop the squeak. I only thought they warrantied the basket, sounds like you got a good deal.

Old 04-03-09, 09:27 AM
T
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
Be sure to use the grease they send you. Hate to have you have to tear it down a second time to stop the squeak. I only thought they warrantied the basket, sounds like you got a good deal.
definitely used the grease.... i have a lifted truck and know how benefitial grease is.... expecially fording 5' of water...

so the washer is back up and running.. not too bad.. few hours... few beers and viola... up and running.... i forgot how quiet the dagon thing is!!!!! and ta boot, since it was banging around the washer wouldnt let it hit into high gear so the clothes were not getting spun dry enough.. wife did towels last night and was amazed at the difference!!!!!
the loudest thing on the washer is the pump.. boy is that thing kinda loud.... also took the trap off the front and got a pen, small screwdriver (broken into 2) and a quarter out of there... not sure how they got past the ball float!!!!!!

and for the fording water.....
there are 38" tires under the dodge.... and im on 40" ground hawgs and 8" lift... with snorkel and lockers....

Old 08-10-09, 06:40 PM
B
I am having the same issue with my 6 year old Duet washer. I am willing to do the repair. However, when my wife called about the problem she was told the warranty does not cover the outer tub.

Did you have to elevate your issue or did the agree to send the parts right away?

Originally Posted by TeleFragger View Post
yup bearing was bad.. took it apart... and WOW... bearing was all mangled up... also the seal was bad so it was starting to leak too..

call to Whirlpool...
had the washer for 6 years... so outer drum is good for 10 years on the warranty...

$250 part sent to our house... I took it all apart and went to install it to realize the bouncing around and all killed our front piece... wife called back and they are sending the front outer tub out ($150 part) for free...

so theoretically
$400 in parts plus shipping (all free since under warranty)
$250-$300 quoted install price

makes it more worth it to buy a new one..

however free parts under warranty and myself installing it makes it worth it... had 1 bad shock ($30) and bought it and installed that ....

since i am doing the work the warranty will be void now..but I told the wife.... if we pay someone to install the drum and a circuit board goes next... we are still out...

so all in all... hopefully the washer will be back together this week and running for $30... next break (this is the only one in 6 years) and gonna buy a new one..

side note... they (whirlpool) obviously knew there was a problem with that bearing... as the new unit has a sealed bearing (nicer design in my opinion)...

Old 08-11-09, 03:38 AM
when my wife called about the problem she was told the warranty does not cover the outer tub.
read the first page of your owners manual. should say 10 years on tub and lifetime on basket

Old 08-11-09, 06:02 AM
B
It says the outer tub is covered for leakage. It is not leaking. I guess if I run it enough it will break enough of the front tub that it will leak.

Originally Posted by David_Thompson View Post
read the first page of your owners manual. should say 10 years on tub and lifetime on basket

Old 08-11-09, 02:39 PM
It says the outer tub is covered for leakage. It is not leaking
weird. the kenmore manual(same washer) says defects, nothing about leaking. what is the model#?

Old 08-11-09, 04:27 PM
B
The model is GHW9100LW1

I called them today and they said the tub has to be leaking. Every time I run the washer more of the front tub breaks away. It will eventually leak.

When I had the repairman here he wrote it up as a bad bearing. I have to fax customer service a copy of the repair estimate. When they do not see anything about a leaking tub I will have a debate with them. If they do not replace the tub parts for free, I will be getting a new washer and it will not be anything made by Whirlpool. They will have lost a customer forever.

weird. the kenmore manual(same washer) says defects, nothing about leaking. what is the model#?

Old 08-11-09, 04:56 PM
Whirlpool Corporation will pay for FSP®replacement parts for the outer tub should it crack or
fail to contain water, if defective in materials or workmanship.
hmm. there is no "or" or an "and" after the last comma.

definitely defective in materials or workmanship though

Old 08-13-09, 01:10 PM
B
I sent the quote from the authorized repair provider to Whirlpool. They are sending the two outer tubs and the inner basket.

The authorized repair provider had told me the outer tubs were not covered. However, I had no issue with Whirlpool customer service once they saw the quote which indicated the outer tubs needed to be replaced.

I am happy with the outcome.

hmm. there is no "or" or an "and" after the last comma.

definitely defective in materials or workmanship though

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: