GE Side by side not cooling

Old 03-01-09, 08:52 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Side by side not cooling

I have a GE PSS25MGNA that is not cooling right. I first noticed stuff melting in the freezer and I thought the door might have been ajar. Now I am not sure the refrigerator side is cooling right or at all. I don't hear the compressor coming on but I hear a fan running. I feel big bucks being spent shortly.
Any advice?

Old 03-02-09, 03:48 AM
S
Remove back cover and check the compressor, if hot, but not running, you have a bad PTCR relay available at Repair Clinic
Part # 1063791 $11.0 plus shipping

Old 03-14-09, 01:11 PM
C
I appreciate the reply, however, the refrigerator seemed to be ok the next day. We moved our stuff back in there and it has been fine.
This morning, the stuff in the freezer was melting again.
I put a thermometer in there and it is holding 40 degrees in the freezer. This is with it set to max cold. The refrigerator side seems to cool good enough. Its cold but not cold enough.
Is this a good enough clue to help diagnose it?

Old 03-14-09, 02:03 PM
M
Alot of GE side-by-sides have issues with their main circuit board. I haven't the knowledge to tell you how to find out if that's your problem but in my case it was. I had a 'moaning' fan that some Googling determined to be the circuit card. I found the part number I needed and ordered it on-line for less than $90.00. Took me all of 15 minutes to install it and the problem was solved. I did just read (Google) that your model had 'broken damper door' issues which led to temperature problems. Do a search on your model number.

Old 03-14-09, 03:49 PM
C
I think I figured out what I did to make it start working.
I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Its like something is being reset when it is unplugged. I tried it again today when I had the same problem and it is working again now as well.

Old 03-15-09, 03:55 AM
S
When it fails, remove the motherboard cover in the back of fridg. and tap on the board. If compressor starts, you have a bad solder joint that can be re-soldered.
If not, remove the 3 pin power connector and jumper line pin to comp pin, these will be labled on the pc board.
If the compressor now runs, you have a bad mother board, part # WR55X10656
You can order it at web site "appliancepartspros" just crunch into Google.

Old 03-15-09, 09:33 AM
H
Bad solder joint, or bad relay. Some replace just the relay if it is bad, about a $12.00 part rather than the $80.00 one. However if you are not able to do this repair, you might be better off to replace the board.

H.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: