long dry time, possible blower or vent prob?

Old 03-24-09, 03:34 PM
O
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long dry time, possible blower or vent prob?

We disassembled our Kenmore Electric dryer and installed the dryer maintenance kit. The only worn part was the bottom drum roller but we replaced both rollers, the belt and the idler pulley. Before our repair, the only problem was a thumping noise. Now, it seems that the dry time is long and the lint does not collect over the whole screen but only at the bottom in a clump. Could we have caused a problem with the blower or venting system? We pulled the dryer out from the wall with the vent pipe attached. How can we check whether the blower is working and the venting attached?

Old 03-24-09, 04:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Dose the dryer heat? If it does usual problem is blocked vent. Look behind dryer and make sure you didn't pinch vent hose when you put dryer back in. Very easy to do. When you are behind dryer take vent tube off dryer , start dryer and feel the air coming out, connect tube and go outside and feel air, should be about same. Let us know how things work out.

Old 03-24-09, 04:45 PM
D
Talking

Switch on the dryer, go outside and feel for nice hot air at the exhaust. No air - then no air movement - something's plugged up or not connected.
D'ja vacuum out the exhaust tube when you fixed the dryer?
Might be something jammed in there.
If you don't feel air, there could be a blower issue.Check to see if your fan housing isn't loose or cracked, or possibly the fan is loose and not spinning (highly unlikely).

Old 03-24-09, 11:22 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
I agree - any time the length of time it takes to dry a load goes up, my first thought is a blockage of the vent.

Old 03-25-09, 07:42 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a job I had the other day. Up in an attic with about 40 feet of dryer duct buried deep in that fluffy white blown-in fiberglass insulation. Dryer ducting horizontal for all but the first vertical 8 feet that goes in a wall chase. Was up there with flood light and uncovered the duct and had to unscrew 3 screws each and duct tape at each joint I did (overkill), and I used one of those telescoping 6-inch round-headed brushes, that you can make the head even collapse down into a soup can! Absolutely the perfect tool to ream out clogged ducts with!!!

The tenant happened to have a collection of 1 x2's out in the garage. And as I inserted that chimney sweep looking brush into the last 18 foot horizontal duct run that went through the attic firewall over someone elses apt.(18 total feet), I kept adding lengths of 1 x2 with duct tape so I wound up with about a 20 foot handle on that chimney sweep-like brush. Did an excellent job. Ran dryer and saw wads and wads of lint fly out the roof vent. On the sections I was able to take apart, after reaming them out, I held them up to the trouble light and sighted through them, and they were as clean as a whistle.

Around here, you can buy those telescoping brushes at dollar stores for even cheaper than our big box store, where they also sell them. You compare about $3 to $6.50 (price may be higher now).

What an excellent way to clean out such ducting!

Old 03-25-09, 05:02 PM
^wow.

glad i dont have to mess with dryer ducts

Old 03-25-09, 05:58 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David_Thompson View Post
^wow.

glad i dont have to mess with dryer ducts
And I wound up pretty stiff the next morning. I only had my 4 foot ladder with and to get up into the attic required I become a monkey like when I was a kid. And then ducking down and wandering around, carefully, up there - and up and down out of that attic about 4 times. Sometimes I forget that I am a "senior citizen" (according to AARP anyway.)

Old 03-28-09, 01:56 PM
O
We indeed had a venting problem. We had a bird's nest in our exhaust vent. First dryer load seems to have dried well. It was quite a coincidence to have just done our repair and then to have the bird's nest. We thought that we caused the long dry time problem.

I want to encourage everyone to try to repair a dryer to fix a thumping noise (bad drum roller). Because our drier is 23 years old, most said that it was not worth repairing. But after reading about the problems with some of the new washers and dryers, I thought that it was worth a DIY effort. It cost about $44 and a few hours but we learned how a dryer works and saved $1800 (We already bought a washer and drier on sale and just postponed the delivery until we found out whether we could fix the dryer).

Thank you for the DIY help.

Old 03-28-09, 05:40 PM
D
Talking

So, now you write a check approx. 1800 large and deposit it or buy a bond with it.
You'd have been out the cash if you bought the new appliances, right?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: