GE Washer Start button flashing

Old 04-06-09, 04:18 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Washer Start button flashing

GE Washer Start Button flashing will not start Model WPRB8050D1WW, tried holding start button in for 5-10 seconds, did the unplug for 30 seconds and then raise lid 5 times in 15 seconds, have unplugged for 20 minutes and when you push buttons to select washing mode the start button starts flashing and the machine will not start.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-09, 05:39 PM
possible bad machine control board

Old 04-06-09, 05:42 PM
M
How can I check the control board?

Old 04-07-09, 02:19 AM
S
Locate the service sheet, either tucked into the bottom of the dishwasher, or in a plastic envelope in the front kick panel. It will tell you how to enter diagnostic mode. If it fails to enter diagnostic mode, you have a bad control board.

Old 04-07-09, 04:12 PM
M
Question

Found the service sheet, said to press the Whites button and the Start Pause buttons simultaneously.
Did that several times and made no difference in the display, i'm thinking control board but hat to put that much money out of something else could cause this behaviour.

Old 07-24-09, 05:53 PM
C
control board

I have the GE Washer WPRB8050D1WW. The buttons are deciding when they will work and when they will not. The stop button went first. Never worked again. The drain-and-spin button went next -- but started working again. Works now. Somtimes I have fiddled with the buttons -- apply pressure over different points on the buttons and get it to respond. Other buttons have done this. Now the water level is high and the machine slightly overflows. This is not constant, but it is getting more frequent.

I, too, was thinking it was the computer; but when I unplug the washer, it does not reset a cycle. The cycle that appears when I unplug it appears even after unplugging the machine for hours. This tells me there must be a different way to reset the computer.

I've read these other comments and would like some clarification.

Does pressing start/pause, unplugging, and raising lid serve to reset the computer?

If put into diagnostic mode and a problem flashes on the display, will I be able to use the machine after?

Thanks for your replies. Really can't do without this machine for even a day.

Old 07-25-09, 03:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
sounds like the user interface has gone bad. Have never seen this happen on your model.

Old 07-25-09, 03:59 AM
on the newer GE's you can unplug the washer for 30 sec, plug it back in and open and close the lid 7 times in 10 sec i believe.

dont know if that does anything on yours. sounds like a bad control board to me

Old 08-03-09, 10:06 PM
C
uuuuuugh

Well -- I tried a few things with little success. But I did see that when the whites and start/pause buttons are pressed, the whole panel lights up and Fd comes up as a code. When I lift the cover, the bottom-row indicators (wash, rinse, etc.) blink with the action. I would like to purchase the repair manual for this machine.

From other forums I see the technician sheet is more than likely in the back panel of the machine. I was able to fool the overflow by switching from large load to small load. Prevented the overflow for the moment. Now the darn thing won't spin.

I know I must pull out the machine and give it a good going over. It's just I'm almost done rehabbing some of my building and these 56-year-old, female bones are tired.

Anyone got a magic wand for me?

oooo -- just walked away from my shutdown computer and played with the control board. I see that when the white/start button is pushed, the Fd probably means full diagnostic. When I push the white button again and again, it cycles through all the functions. Got them clothes to spin. But when cycling through all of the functions, E4 blinks. Any idea what this diagnostic message means?

I probably need to rip this apart and clean all the inputs and outputs -- the waterworks. But I'd like to know what E4 is relative to.

Last edited by crwriter; 08-03-09 at 10:40 PM. Reason: set up wrong
Old 08-04-09, 07:21 AM
D
Here is a service manual for GE Profile top loaders.

http://appliancejunk.com/ge/washer/31-9103.pdf

It doesn't show letter/number error codes. The codes are probably on the tech sheet in the washer.

If you don't mind, keep us posted. Thanks.

Old 08-04-09, 10:58 AM
C
Sure thing

Sure... The washer in this manual is way different than the one I have. Perhaps that is why no letter/number codes are listed. I have to pull the washer out from the wall, and it's mounted on a wooden doodad in front in order to better level the washer and keep it from rocking into the middle of the room.

I suppose I'll get my son to move it for me and after I find the Tech Sheet, I will let you know what all the codes are and mean. Some are obvious:

5P: Spin
P: Drain
AH: Regular wash
AL: Delicate wash
C: Cold water fill
H: Hot water fill
E4: (blinking, let you know when I find out.)
05: no response see above
Fd: Full diagnostice which lights up all indicator on display if
working. My stop light is not lit up.

Old 09-02-09, 02:42 PM
C
Hurrah a diagram worth perusing

So I bought the control board and have yet to install it. I have just a few more things to do to my building. After building burnout, I am having a hard time pushing myself to finsih. My knees are crying and my back is terrible.

I did, however, call GE up and scream about getting a repair manual. They outright refused and told me I could schedule a service call with a bonifide GE idiot with a manual to boot. I declined and told them their product stunk, and that I, a GE fan for decades, would never buy a GE product again. (I love my Samsung dryer.)

I found a website with great diagrams of the GE Profile that gives at least an inkling of where to start for what. It's a parts' site, but I copied it all to word as a guide to do my repairs. I'll tackle the drains and inputs and control board with it.

Replacement parts for GE WPRB8050D1WW | AppliancePartsPros.com