Maytag SAV405DEWW Washer - Main Motor Pulley Won't Kick In

Old 04-23-09, 08:09 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Maytag SAV405DEWW Washer - Main Motor Pulley Won't Kick In

I replaced the belt and pump on our Maytag washer (SAV405DEWW) a couple weeks ago and am again having problems. This time, though, the main pulley that comes out from the motor won't engage on its own. When trying to spin, if I give it a nudge with my finger, it will engage and complete the cycle.

Also, there is a buzzing/clicking sound coming from the control panel when trying to engage the spin cycle. (I haven't tried to do an agitation cycle yet.) When I nudge the belt/pulley with my finger to engage the spin cycle, the buzzing sound goes away.

I took the motor out again tonight and noticed that one of the electrical contacts on the motor harness (attached to the motor) seems to be missing a pin. I'm not sure if this could be the problem, but I thought it was worth posting. (In the image below, I've got the missing pin highlighted by an oval that has been lightened to better show the area.)

Does anyone have thoughts as to why this motor pulley might not be engaging properly? Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks in advance!!

-Joel

Old 04-24-09, 03:42 AM
sounds like a bad motor. im not a fan of that speed queen washer, wouldnt be worth fixing to me

Old 04-24-09, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Is that wire loose? unplug and replug in see if that helps. I agree with David would not bother fixing it. Get a Whrilpool made machine without water level control.

Old 04-24-09, 04:36 AM
G
Financially for us right now, repairing the motor (not replacing the motor) is the best option. If it might just be an electrical problem, we could hopefully get that part for less than $50.

If we do indeed need to replace the motor, I'll definitely look at getting a new washer. I saw the motor online at PartSelect.com for about $183.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate everyone on this board.

-Joel

Old 04-24-09, 07:55 AM
D
according to Sears the motor part # 27001215. There are some used motors on ebay starting at $35 and a new on auction with a starting bid of $55. It looks like the pin on the switch has broken off? I don't think you can buy the swtich seperately.

Old 04-26-09, 05:55 PM
D
I found a service manual for this machine and looks like the switch can be detached from the motor.
Washer & Dryer Service Repair Manuals for Maytag

download 16022937

I'm darned if I can find a part number for it though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: