Whirlpool Washer Runs but DOESN'T Spin

Old 04-24-09, 07:12 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Whirlpool Washer Runs but DOESN'T Spin

Hello everybody I'm new here, and new to appliance repair.

I bought a used washer on craigslist (taking a risk, I know). It's a Whirlpool model #LSR7233DD0. I had the guy show me every cycle before I bought and I swear I saw the spin cycle running.

Now, it runs through every cycle but gets hung up on spin. The motor sounds like it's running but there is not spin action. I tried to look at the lid switch, and well there appears to be none. I see a bundle of wires with electrical tape on the end. Did they guy bypass the lid switch? That's fine by me if it's only a safety precaution. I live alone and I'm not gonna stick my hands in there when it running.

I've been reading up on it a little bit and it seems like when people are having problems with the lid switch the motor doesn't run while in spin cycle, but mine does. So this leads me to believe that there is a different problem.

When the guy loaded the washer into the truck he tipped it on its side. Could this have knocked something out of place?

When I get home I'm going to figure out how to remove the cabinet and take a look in there. I know one thing to check for is the motion on the clutch drum, but beyond that I really don't know.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have a good diagram or photos of the inside of a similar washer? Anybody happen to have this manual?

Thanks so much!
:helpme 2:

Old 04-24-09, 08:03 AM
D
The first thing to check is the motor coupler [cheap part]. You can find some manuals at Service Matters Online click on technical reference then job aids. There are some photos at Link Courtesy Appliance411.com the Appliance Information Center Let us know what you find. Thanks.

Old 04-24-09, 10:01 AM
G
Thanks daddyjohn, those are excellent resources. I'm printing out a manual right now and I'll see what I can figure out this weekend.

Please check back because I'm sure I'll have some questions soon!

Old 04-24-09, 10:27 AM
B
Can't help you with fixing it, but I had a similar problem. That spin cycle would work when the basin was empty, but soon as there was any clothes in it it failed. Lesson learned was check out the basin with a load in it before buying it, if it can be arranged.

Old 04-24-09, 02:56 PM
That spin cycle would work when the basin was empty, but soon as there was any clothes in it it failed.
most likely the clutch or the drive block in that case

Old 05-15-09, 12:45 PM
G
I got pretty busy shortly after I posted my question and I never got around to looking at my washer. I did one load of clothes a few days after I posted and wrung out the clothes by hand as usual. The week after that, I ran a load and went to the shed 25 minutes later fully expecting to have to wring stuff out by hand, but the machine spun!

It's been spinning ever since. I never even got to open the machine up to take a look. It's so strange that it just started working. I live alone so I know no on else fixed it. I'm baffled.

Any clues on to what could have been the problem?

Old 05-15-09, 01:35 PM
most likely is there is oil on the clutch or could be a stripped out drive block

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: