Electric oven temp off over 100 degrees

Old 04-27-09, 12:07 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric oven temp off over 100 degrees

I have a Frigidaire Custom Deluxe electric oven that is built into the wall. It was in the house when we bought it so that means it's around a 1979 model. A few years back I noticed that when I cook things were getting kind of dark before they where cooked so I hung a thermoter in the oven. It was 75 degrees off. The temp was actually 75 deg. hotter than what the dial was set to. I just lived with it and would set the dial to 75 less then I needed. Now it's getting worse.It's between 100 and 125 degrees off now. Is there someway of adjusting this or does the element need changed?
Thanks Dave

Old 04-27-09, 12:16 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I had a 1977 wall oven up until recently.. the bias adjust for the sensor was inside the shaft of the temperature setting knob itself. If the end of your dial has a hole in it, try putting a small flat blade screwdriver in it (insulated handle just in case ?).

I think there was an industry standard of so many degree's per quarter turn or something.. I forget it now though, sorry. As you adjust, dont forget the oven will shoot over and then under etc.. go slow. The old ovens dont hold precise temps like these new ones do.

Old 04-27-09, 12:20 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you are lucky, some stoves have an adjustment. First place to check is to pull off the temperature setting knob. If you see a temperature adjustment screw, you are halfway there. Also check where the probe is located inside the oven. It may be dangling in a "cool" spot rather than being affixed where it gives a more accurate reading.

Old 04-27-09, 03:57 PM
D
Could you kindly post the model # so we can see what you have. If your temp control is electro-mechanical [in contrast to electronic], you'll probably have to replace it.

Old 04-28-09, 09:18 AM
F
I took the knob off and there is no adjusting screw on the shaft. The model # is: REG-94BK

Old 04-28-09, 12:38 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I looked up your model's owner's manual. It does not say if the temp can be adjusted. It can be done on some other models.
I would suggest going to frigidaire.com for more info and toll free service numbers. They should be able to tell you if it is an adjustment or a parts problem.

Old 04-28-09, 03:03 PM
D
I doubt that it can be recalibrated. I couldn't find your model # online, just some that are close. example- REGB94F2 which uses part # 5303206499
You're probably going to have to replace the thermostat with a generic.

Search Results

Old 04-28-09, 04:11 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Our old unit had the thermostat and sensor as a single unit..when it finally quit completely, I didnt try any generic replacements, since the guy at the local parts place told me I'd be lucky to find one for ~$150. That, and the age of the unit (less efficient, possibly old wire concerns ?).. got me shopping for a new unit (well, ok.. the wife got me shopping for a new unit.. lol).

30 years is a pretty good service life.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: