Kenmore Washer or Washing Machine Smells Musty

Old 04-30-09, 02:01 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Washer or Washing Machine Smells Musty

I have a Kenmore washing machine that smells. The clothes still come clean and they don't smell but the laundry room smells a little and when I first open the lid to the washer it smells. It smells musty like mold or mildew to me. It is slight my husband never notices it but I know it is there. The machine seems to work great. It is from 1999 and I can post the model number if needed.

Here are my questions? Why does it smell? Is there anyway for me to clean it? Can I take it apart and clean the parts that I can't see? I consider myself pretty handy but I don't know where to start or how to take it apart or if that will even help.

Here is what I have already done. I have tried running empty loads with soap, bleach, vinegar, and baking soda (not all together) but they don't seem to help. I left bleach water in the machine overnight once trying to fix the problem but the smell is till there. I moved it away from the wall and cleaned under it and around it but the smell is still there. We cleaned out the lint tube leading outside for the dryer because I thought it might be old lint that smelled but now I know for sure it is not the dryer but the washer. I leave the lid open as much as possible after I run a load so I make sure it is able to dry.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-30-09, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Most likely you have mold growing in the tub. The only way I know to clean it is to take machine apart and clean it out. Not hard but you would need a spanner wrench to remove basket.

Old 04-30-09, 02:35 PM
crud does build up at the top of the tub, dont know if you could smell it

how much bleach were you using. i would use about 4 cups

Old 04-30-09, 02:59 PM
C
Thanks to both of you for responding.

yes, I've cleaned all around the top a family member suggested that before (forgot to mention that). Used about 1/2 of a big bottle of bleach and let it sit overnight.

So if I decide to take it apart what is your opinion on if that will create more problems for an older washer than just a little smell. I'm I risking disrupting something by disassembling a washer of this age that is currently working fine or is that a silly question? I know with some items taking them apart makes them never work quite the same. Maybe this isn't one of those things but I'm just curious what you think?

I found a page online with photos of a washer being taken apart and how the wrench you mentioned works. Seems like I could buy one of those at home depot or sears for less than $20 am I right? I'm wondering though when I pop off the agitator cap I don't see how to take off the agitator it looks like it too requires a special tool. I'm a right? I could post a photo if you don't know what I'm talking about. What I'm saying is there isn't like a metal nut in there or anything it all looks plastic and it not very obvious how to take it apart.

Old 04-30-09, 05:01 PM
A
Try this website Smelly Washer | Remove Washing Machine Odor, Smell, Mildew, Mold, Stink, and Fungus! Type appliance-repair-it into the coupon box on the order form to receive a 10% discount!! Also Questions About Clothes Washers

Old 05-01-09, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wrench would have to be bought at appliance repair parts store. Not to difficult to remove basket and clean there. If you decide to go into lower end of washer (not needed to remove basket) I would replace drive coupler. Should be about do anyway a 10 year old washer. Before you do anything I would check inside cabinet about 6 inches from floor to see if you have a streak of oil. If you do you need a gearcase and clutch.
Agitator may have a plastic cap that pulls off and than there is a bolt holding agitator on. Cap will just pull off. Here is a link to show how to open cabinet
Whirpool Drive-Coupling Replacement
Please keep us posted on how you did.

Old 05-01-09, 11:59 PM
C
Just thinking this over before I commit.

So if what I'm reading is true my washer is belt-less. So what part is designed to wear out instead of the belt? Do I need to replace that part. I've noticed over the years that it seems more loose if that makes since. What I'm saying is I think it knocks more often now when only slightly off balance. Does that mean it needs some sort of maintenance or just that it is getting older?

How long can I expect a machine like this to last? I'm just wondering if it is worth it to buy the parts and work on it to help it last longer or just wait until it quits and get a new one.

I have to admit that I need more information on what you said about the oil streak. Can you elaborate a little on where to look, what the oil would mean about the life left in my washer, and how complicated the job would be?

Here are the prices I found for the parts you suggested. Maybe this will help you, help me decide what to do.
Prices:
Clutch Kit $35
Gear-case $145
Drive motor to transmission coupling $14

Thanks so much to everyone trying to help me. You are appreciated!

Old 05-02-09, 03:36 AM
wait until the machine has a functional problem before you start tearing it apart. being an amateur you may make it worse

Last edited by David_Thompson; 05-02-09 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-02-09, 04:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with David would not take apart unless needed. Oil streak will be inside cabinet about 6 inches from floor. Either tilt machine back to wall or take cabinet off. If streak there it will be easy to see. Only wear part I would replace is drive coupler when needed. Your machine should be good for at least another 20 years. with minor repairs. (drive coupler, fill valve, agitator dogs)

Old 05-02-09, 11:20 AM
C
I like the honesty I was concerned about that too. Really another 20 years that is awesome. Well by not tearing into it does that mean you wouldn't take out the basket and clean? I guess I can live with the smell but it really does bother me. If it didn't smell it would be close to perfect.

Old 05-02-09, 03:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you want to remove basket go ahead, Should not cause any problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: