Freezer not freezing - Amana

Old 05-14-09, 02:30 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Freezer not freezing - Amana

I have an Amana (bottom freezer) refridgerator - model #BX22S5W. It is keeping cool, but not freezing stuff like it used to. I've already replaced the defrost thermostat and the defrost timer, but neither did the trick. I've checked to make sure the light bulb isn't staying on when the door is closed, and I don't think it's that either. The grill in the back of the freezer behind the panel is not iced over like I read in other forums, but the defrost thermometer (old and new) is always frosted over. I plan on trying to test the heating element for continuity tonight if I can. Any other ideas?

PS: I also have a new door gasket on the freezer, so I believe the seal is good.

Old 05-14-09, 03:08 PM
D
Not as cold as before as in food is thawing out? Is the icemaker working? Can you put a thermometer in the freezer section and monitor the temperature? Are the coils underneath the fridge clean? Where are the controls set? They both want to be at the midrange. If the freezing coil is not getting clogged with frost/ice, the heater is probably ok. Are both the fan inside the freezer section and the fan underneath running? Check those items and let us know what you find. Thanks.

Old 05-14-09, 03:21 PM
R
Yes, the food is thawing out. It's probably colder than the fridge part, but not enough to freeze the food. There is no ice maker. We have run a vacuum under the front and in the back to get rid of all the dust. The compressor kicks on and off, so it doesn't sound unusual. The air is blowing inside the freezer, but it isn't as cold as it needs to be. The controls used to be midrange. We turned the freezer control up (6-7), but it didn't help. We then turned it down (~3), just to see if there was a noticible difference. I don't know that there was, but we have not put a thermometer in there.
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-14-09, 04:24 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by rhall22 View Post
The compressor kicks on and off, so it doesn't sound unusual.
Describe this more - the intervals.

Old 05-14-09, 05:51 PM
D
Thawing is not good. When you turned it colder did the compressor run longer? Did you leave it on the colder setting for a day or so? What about ecman's Q? I've always liked the Amana design. Both sections are much roomier than the usual s x s boxes.

Old 05-15-09, 11:23 AM
R
status

This morning I checked the freezer and it was fairly warm. We have some "frozen" corn and a large blue cooler "blue ice" thing that I am using to monitor how cold it is. Both thawed. The defrost thermostat was not iced over. While inspecting and holding the door open, the compressor came on. I worked in the kitchen for over an hour and have been close by...it's been 5 hours and I don't believe it has stopped running. The bag of corn is still not frozen although the defrost thromostat is iced over again. I've just moved the setting from a 4 back up to 7 (the highest setting) to see if it gets any colder.

Old 05-15-09, 05:38 PM
D
A thermometer would surely help. I think you're down to a malfunctioning thermostat or a sealed system problem. What happens if you tap on the thermostat? I'm wodering if opening the door and such jostled the thermostat. When you say iced over do you mean a layer of frost [thin but not too thin] ? Is most of the freezing coil frosty or just a part of it like 1/4 or so?

Old 05-15-09, 06:57 PM
R
There is barely any frost on the coils at all ... there is a very small hint of frost on the top layer of coils, but the thermostat is heavily frosted over. We have replaced the thermostat, but perhaps didn't need to because the problem is still the same.

Old 05-16-09, 02:24 AM
D
How long did the compressor run before you looked at the coils? When you say the thermostat is frosted over, you mean the one clipped to the freezing coil right? If the compressor had run for a couple hours or so before you looked at the coils, you've got a sealed system problem. Time to shop. Avoid GE, LG, and Frgidaire. If you like Kenmore, check the model number first to see who made it. WP is ok. Like I said before, I have always liked the bottom freezer design. I've seen some where they have a French Door upper section [2 doors] and bottom drawer but I forget who makes them.

Old 05-16-09, 04:22 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by rhall22 View Post
I worked in the kitchen for over an hour and have been close by...it's been 5 hours and I don't believe it has stopped running.
DJ, I think this is your answer. It sounds to me. A systems refrigerant leak.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: