GE refrigerator not cooling or frezing good after power surge

Old 05-17-09, 11:28 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE refrigerator not cooling or frezing good after power surge

I have a GE fridge,model #GTS18XBMDRWW.. recently we had a power surge.Now the freezer takes a long time to freeze anything and the fridge just isn't very cold..Can anyone tell me what might have happened..and is there anything I can look for to see what the problem might be...It also did something to the icemaker...the water just keeps running and wont shut off...also the freeer sometimes goes into defrost mode to frequently....please help so my wife will quit nagging me...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-09, 11:47 AM
M
Do you hear the fan motor running at full speed when you open the freezer door? I recently had to replace my motor. It was running but not fast enough to cool the refrigerator. You could hear the motor whine at low speeds.

Old 05-17-09, 07:30 PM
D
For other readers, this is an 18 cu ft top freezer fridge with defrost timer, no electronics. I doubt that it's going into defrost too much. What is probably happening is the compressor is cycling off due to a problem. So, first things first. Where are the controls set? Put them at the middle of the range. Next, are the coils underneath the box clean? Is the fan underneath the box running? Is the fan in the freezer section running? Is there a frost buildup on the back wall of the freezer section. Maybe you could take off the back wall and see if the freezing coil is frosted up. As for the water, if you unplug the box does the water keep running? If yes, the water valve is bad. Let us know what you find. Thanks.

Old 07-26-09, 04:34 AM
M
re: power surge

The recent power surge we had at our house fried the compressor in my refridgerator. We were also told by Sears repair service that the motor might also have been affected. We chose to replace the fridge rather than wait and see if the motor cut out too.

Old 07-26-09, 10:54 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Who verified the actual compressor was fried - and not rather the relay or run capacitor?