Kitchenaid side by side Refrigerator running

Old 05-21-09, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchenaid side by side Refrigerator running

I have a 7 yr. old Kitchenaid Superbra fridge. Recently, I kept hearing the 'fan' running. I pull out the book for trouble shooting. The only thing it could poss. be would be dust on the coils. I reg. clean these....I tried cleaning them again. It seems that the freezer side 'fan' or motor is running all the time. What should I do? Seems to be still running after this last cleaning.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-09, 05:26 PM
update

As I said in previous post the 'fan' keeps running. Now I ckd. the fridge & it's not cooling. My ice cream is melting & does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? I also am hearing a slight beeping noise every few hrs. I think it's coming from the fridge.

Old 05-22-09, 06:09 AM
frost

I looked inside of the freezer & noticed frost/ice towards the back. It looks like all levels of the back have this. I am not taking everything out & leaving the door open. I turned off the fridge. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-22-09, 12:53 PM
update

I took everything out of the freezer & left the door open. Everything dripped out & into the pan underneath. I left it open for 2 hrs. I then turned the fridge back on & put back the food. It seems to be working well. I will know more tom. or later in the wk. I guess u really do have to defrost ur non frost fridges huh?

Old 05-23-09, 05:17 PM
D
2 hours is not enough. If you have a frost buildup on the back wall of the freezer section, something in the defrst cycle is malfunctioning. Can you post the model # of your fridge?

Old 05-24-09, 04:10 PM
I put most perishables & things in a cooler & then the fridge side. I left the doors open for the 2 hrs. & massive amts. of water & ice came down melting into the pan. My house is very warm...it's almost summer here in Fla. It seemed to have slowed to nil, when I decided to put the food back in the freezer & risk not loosing all of it. Everything is working great & my ice is even better! A pal told me to take a hair dryer to it next time. Since 2004, when the hurricanes hit, I've never 'thawed' the freezer side of this fridge. I didn't think I had to. It's frost free & thought I didn't have to do these things. The fan below isn't running 24/7 like before & everything is fine. It's way better than it's ever been. It's a Kitchenaid Superbra, side by side. Now if I can just figure out how to pull the pan out. There's a bar I can't figure out in the front.
Pretty good for a 1st timer that didn't know jack huh?Beer 4U2

Old 05-25-09, 04:41 AM
D
can you post the model #? If you're sure that a door wasn't left ajar and the flapper on the front of the freezer door where ice cubes come out is closing properly, the fridge will probably be all frosted up again before the end of the week. Set the controls at the midrange settings. First thing most folks do is set them to the coldest settings which is counterproductive.

Old 08-01-09, 06:44 AM
motor running?

My model # is KSRS271KSS01. It's a KitchenAid side by side Superba. There isn't anymore frost in the freezer. Things seemed to be ok but it appears that it's running a lot. I've been cking. the inside temp of the fridg. Today it's higher & just got up, so the door hasn't been opened or closed. No seals r bad & nothings ever been ajar w/ it. Can't figure out why the motor keeps running & seems to be getting louder, now it appears the fridge is warmer than usual. The freezer setting is on a 1 in a 1-4 setting, 4 being the coolest. The fridge is on a 2 & just put that up to a 3 since it's pushing 50 now inside the fridg. I will ck. it in a couple hrs. when I get back.
Any suggestions? it's about 8 yrs. old.

Old 08-01-09, 10:51 AM
D
Is the freezing coil frosted up again? It sounds like the defrosting system is not working properly.

Old 08-01-09, 11:19 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is the freezer compartment temperature? Is the freezer fan running?

Old 08-01-09, 11:50 AM
update so far

The freezer seems ok. I don't know the temp cause I have the gauge in the fridge. So far, the fridge isn't cooling off. I just moved up the # to the coolest which is a 4. I will ck. when I get back tonight. It's 52 degrees right now.
Something sounds like it's always running w/ the fridge. Not sure if it's the motor or fan.
I could put the gauge in the freezer to see the temp but is this gonna help w/ a diagnosis? It's the fridge that is not cooling, not the freezer.
Thxs,
T

Old 08-01-09, 11:52 AM
Yes, freezer fan is running, I guess that's what I keep hearing? There's no frost in the freezer.....

Old 08-01-09, 12:54 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Knowing that temp be nice. And also if there is frost or ice on the freezer's coils or not.

Old 08-02-09, 06:13 AM
After I moved the setting to the coldest for the fridge., Everything 'seems' to be fine now. I don't know whats going on w/ this fridge. Temp. is reading 38 degrees for fridge now. Not sure about ice on coils or how to ck. that.
After I get home from work today, I was gonna move the thing & ck. the dust. I keep up on it, but just wanted to ck. it.

Old 08-04-09, 06:29 AM
It seems to be fine. I don't know why it's acting up & then it seems to be fine.....temps r all good. I will get to coils today & see if there's a lot of dust, but we keep up on it normally.

Old 08-04-09, 07:37 AM
D
One of the temp controls is for the freezer, the other operates the diffuser that admits air into the fresh food side from the freezer side. Maybe the diffuser had some frost in it?

Old 08-05-09, 05:33 AM
Well should I ck. it or should I just wait to see if it happens again? It's been acting weird since May of this yr. but so far have been able to 'fix' the situations.

Old 08-05-09, 07:55 AM
D
Proably best to see if it frosts up again. Is a door being left ajar sometimes?

Old 08-06-09, 06:17 AM
Doors r never left ajar & rubber gaskets r all fine.