GE Washer Discharging Water through Overflow Pipe

Old 05-22-09, 06:58 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Washer Discharging Water through Overflow Pipe

Hello,

Would anyone know of anything that would cause a GE top load washing machine to intermittenly flood water through the overflow pipe near the top of the drum?

It usually only happens when washing a super load, and the amount of water that overflows ranges anywhere from a small amount up to near a half gallon. Our washing habits have not changed and the washer is level. I also cannot tell if the water is filling too high because I am not sure how far the water rose on the super setting before the problem started (don't have anything to compare against).

I have the front off which is how I found out where the water was coming from. I am willing to take the top of the machine off, but wasn't sure of what I should be looking for.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Old 05-23-09, 03:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
You need a transmission. Brake in trans is bad and letting the basket spin to fast causing water to overfill. Fairly common problem with those. Time for a new washer. I personally would not bother trying to fix. If looking at new washer get something made by Whrilpool. Let us know what you do.

Old 05-23-09, 09:47 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pugs! Not the answer I was hoping to hear, but it makes sense. I'll look into my options, but I appreciate your response. It is good information (more than I knew yesterday).

Thanks Again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: