Maytag MAH4000AWW cold water fill

Old 05-23-09, 07:53 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag MAH4000AWW cold water fill

Hi,

I have a Maytag MAH4000AWW that has been working fine up until a week ago, then it started shutting off when it reached the rinse cycle, after further research I was able to trace the problem that the cold water does not fill into the washer. I can put the washer on warm or hot water wash and the washer works until the rinse cycle when it calls for cold water for the rinse, then it shuts off. Any ideas on this was be appreciated.

Old 05-24-09, 04:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Most likely the fill valve is bad. not sure if yours has electronic control for water valve. Not a common problem but have found where the control board goes bad and will not turn water on. Put machine in rinse and check for voltage at cold water side of valve. First check screens in hose and inlet to water valve. Maytag puts screens at both ends of hoses.

Old 05-24-09, 04:35 AM
D
1. make sure someone hasn't inadvertently shut off the cold water to the washer.
2. check the inlet of the hose that goes from the cold water faucet to the washer to see if the screen is plugged up.
3. take the hose off at the washer end and see if the inlet screen to the water valve is plugged up.
4. see if you are getting 120 volts to the magnetic coil on the valve when the washer should be filling with cold water.

The most common problem is #3 or the valve is simply failing to open. If you find the valve inlet screen plugged up, replace the valve; don't just try to clean it out because some of the junk is already in the valve gummiing up the works. The part # is 22002795 and it's pricey. I found some on ebay for $60 to $85. Let us know how you make out. Thanks.

Old 05-27-09, 11:17 PM
S
Cold water fill

Well I made all the checks you suggested. Each individual check seemed to be good. So I buttoned everything back up and gave it a test. I put the temp control for cold wash and rinse. I could hear the solenoid trip and water filled for a few moments then stopped. I unplugged the washer waited a few then tried again, it did the same thing filled for a about 10 to 15 seconds and stopped. I checked the temperature of the water and it was hot water and not cold, so I am sure the thermistor did its job. I know the water supplies are set appropriately. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Old 05-28-09, 01:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should be able to turn washer on with the top up. Take voltage reading while valve operates. Should be 120 volts to valve for whole fill cycle.

Old 05-28-09, 04:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Is the 4000 a front load?..............

Old 05-28-09, 03:15 PM
its a MAH, the H stands for horizontal axis. so yes a front load

Old 05-28-09, 08:30 PM
S
Well checked the voltage on the cold valve with the washer in the cold wash cold rinse, no voltage. When the washer was filling initially the hot valve had 120volts.

Old 05-29-09, 03:19 AM
then the valve is not the problem.

Old 05-29-09, 03:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Undr consul there should be a tech sheet or wiring diagram. Follow back to next component and check voltage in and out. Check for thermistor and ohm out should get some reading. If thermistor is open it's bad, or 0 ohms could be shorted. Don't know if spec is on sheet. As I said before water is controlled by control module it may have gone bad.

Old 05-29-09, 03:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Thanks, David, I didn't know the "H" designation. I just have one and have been this route. Good washer until it goes down. The circuit board will be about $175 alone, and I bet that is where you have a problem. Once the back cover is off the console, look closely at the board. You may notice a burned place.

Old 05-29-09, 09:25 AM
S
Thanks for your help. The board looks fine, I do not smell any burnt resistors or burn marks on the controll board. I have a schematic and will try to trace back the valve controll. I have one question regarding this washer, if I need another controll
board. These boards run somewhere near $200 or so, why would I want to spend that kind of money when I can put another $150 or so and get a new washer? Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by sturner5; 05-29-09 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-29-09, 02:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would never recommend repairing one of those machines. they have a terrible reputation. Many, many problems. If not fill valve I would junk it, I only recommend machines built by Whrilpool.

Old 05-29-09, 04:16 PM
S
Thanks Pugsl,

I stopped by the local store and they are having a sale, so I have decided to go ahead and replace the washer after reading some of the other posts here and other websites. Too many problems with these washers, I guess these beasts kept the Maytag man very busy so he didn't have time to kick his feet up like the commercials.

Old 05-29-09, 09:43 PM
D
Those machines put Maytag out of buisness.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: